Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can sunscreen/sunblock make skin *drier*??

Question Can sunscreen/sunblock make skin *drier*??

I've recently added sunscreen to my routine after having my 1st IPL treatment 2 weeks ago.

My skin has gotten SO DRY. I usually don't get dry in the winter, even - I'm on the mildly oily side of normal.

Lately, I'm starting to think/feel that the increased redness might be from being dry...I'm even starting to flake in some places. Yet moisturizers scare me because I also have POD, which flares if I get anything occlusive even *near* it (esp anything containing petroleum).

So...I've been using Neutrogena Sensitive Skin Sunscreen (http://www.drugstore.com/products/pr...97&catid=12101) all over, and then Blue Lizard Sunscreen for Face (http://www.drugstore.com/products/pr...84&catid=12101) across my cheeks and bridge of my nose which is drier.

Could these by making my skin *drier*??

You can get increased redness from dryness b/c the barrier is compromised. And after laser/IPL, you will be drier until you heal.

Zinc oxide and titanium have a tendency to sop up oil, and are present in high % in sunscreen and mineral makeup. Using an oil you can tolerate before application may help to prevent overdrying.

However, you said you have oily skin. I'm guessing you probably have seb derm which shows up easier w/makeup and sunscreen. Flakes are caused not by dryness-but by yeast flourishing. In that instance, you'll need to find something to address the SD.

best wishes-
    Kristen
    Last edited by banshee; 20th December 2009 at 07:23 PM.
    My weapons :

Aura/Lyra lasers-70+txs
    RLT (DPL)
    Modified OCM using; microfiber cloth, jojoba/safflower oil, & cool water
    Everyday Minerals
    Bare Minerals Primetime
    Linda Sy Oatmeal & Goodskin All Calm Cleanser
    Replenix Green Tea Serum
    homemade moisturizer w/dimethicone
    Ester C, NSI brand SOD
    Thera Tears supplement & PF gel drops

"Mornie utúlië (darkness has come)..Believe and you will find your way.
    Mornie alantië (darkness has fallen)..A promise lives within you now."

Hi mutantfrog!

C13 14 isoparaffin is derivated from petrolatum is in Blue Lizard sunsreen but i think its not present in high concetracion ,but Neutrogena sunsreen looking ok. no comedogenic or. occlusive ingredients only TO its comedogenic for some people in higher concentration.

banshee-
    Nope no seb derm, but I do have perioral derm that is currently under control. It's not flakes, more like just very dry skin. It looks like the very dry skin I sometimes get on my arms or legs during the winter, only this is on my face. And this is the first time I've ever peeled on my face at all. Hm. OK I will ask the derm when I see her - just in case. Thanks for pointing that out to me I don't know anything about SD...I will try to educate myself in the interim.

I didn't realize zinc or TD could actually absorb oil. Wow. And I didn't realize that I could still be healing from IPL - i thought that was sort of resolved about 2 weeks after treatment?

What do you mean about an oil I can tolerate before putting sunscreen on? Do you have any suggestions - oil or lotion?

Matos,

I had *no inkling* that C13 14 isoparaffin was derived from petroleum!!! Where did you find that info? I wish I had a resource where I could look this stuff up!

petroleum hasn't ever bothered like my rosacea before - but even putting it on my face (anywhere) usually makes my POD neon red the next day (I think I posted about the experience with vanicream lite lotion, which has white petroleum in it). I was told it was because petroleum is "occlusive", and not being able to breathe (for lack of a better word?) is what makes POD worse. So I've been told.

So...either you're right (and it's not a high enough concentration?) or I've lucked out and it hasn't traveled to irritate my POD Or maybe the POD has gotten better. Though I doubt that last bit ;)

Thank you both for your info.
    Do you have any suggestions on products (moisturizers or SPF products that are less drying??)? Any links for further reading?

Thank you again so much

This user has been banned from this forum

One of the things to seriously consider is the ingredients in the sunscreen and other products you're using. Research is showing a buildup of chemicals on the skin can cause acne, dryness and skin cancer. Skin with rosacea is even more susceptible to these reactions.

With so many manufacturers using chemicals in their products, almost any product – cleansers, moisturizers, shampoos, conditioners, hair gels and sunscreens – can be causing breakouts on the face and body.

Here’s a page that shows more harmful ingredients commonly used in skin and hair care products.

To find chemical-free products, read labels and research ingredients – or start with certified organic ingredients which don’t contain harmful chemicals.

Mayo

edited to remove advertising link
    Last edited by Melissa W; 24th December 2009 at 10:59 AM.

Mayo,
    I hear what you're saying. I went ahead and read some of the articles on that website you recommended.

But here's where I'm confused:
    I read the page. And then I spent some time on drugstore.com...and i can't find a product that is both "natural" *and* affordable. By affordable I mean less than $50 for a 1mo supply. I don't think that's an unreasonable stipulation. Well OK I found 2 but both also contained sunflower seed oil which I am allergic to. Not just in a 'oh it causes irritation' kind of way but in a 'grab the epipen i'm not breathing!' kind of way. I can't ingest it and I can't deal with it topically either.

I would love to satisfy all requirements - but to my knowledge no such product exists. Can you recommend any?

I can't believe that it's really better to go w/o SPF if no product fits the bill-chemical/safety wise, allergy wise and price wise. ...right?....

Up till now I've actually only been putting Klaron on most of my face - which only has a few ingredients outside the antibiotic. But after IPL I got the whole speech about needing to use sunscreen religiously - about how I'm more susceptible to UV radiation post procedure, might turn brown if I don't put the sunscreen on, etc. So I've been trying, but having never done it on a daily basis up till now - I'm learning as I go. Both the Blue Lizard and Neutrogena (as well as Aveeno) were recommended by my derm. Usually I just wash, put Klaron on (well plus mascara) and that's it. Now it's been Klaron + the sunscreen. Not like I have a huge array of products that I use on a daily basis.

Seriously I had no idea that the actual TD and ZO could be *drying* in of themselves. I've never been able to use anything on my face for more than a few days, and thus never encountered any of these other problems.

Seriously - I'd welcome any suggestions, Mayo.

I'd considered trying jojoba oil, but it sounds like some people use it as a makeup remover...I'm confused as to how something that is used to remove makeup can also be OK to be left on the skin to moisturize??? I'm still looking into that.

I guess on the other hand it's good to know that the dryness is probably not from some kind of skin change (either hormonal, age, or IPL related) but instead is probably just from the change in product.

Hi mutantfrog!

For rosacea is extremly important to avoid harsh and drying ingredients.
    I have very mild rosacea no P&P or acne,but my skin is very reactive and sensitive.
    In skin care i avoid ingredients like:ALKOHOL(ethanol,denatured,grain,isopropyl),Co rticosteroid,Aceton,Ammonia,Propylen glycol,formaldehides,dyes,Fragrance,benzoic acid,sorbic acid,ascorbic acid,glycolic acid,salicy acid(for some rosaceans salicy acid is fine),ESSENTIAL OILS is BIG NO NO for rosacea,botanical extracts like: cinnamon,thym,rosemary,ginger,lemon,grapefruit,arn ica,,Balsam Peru very irritating,Bentonite(clay) drying,camphor,menthol,eucyliptus,clove,thym,SLS-both,sodium c14-16,tea-lauryl sulfate,retinol,comedogenic ingredients ..
    In sunsreen i avoid Benzophenones,oxybenzon,PABA,Padimate-0.
    I have no problem with Witch hazel (when is no alcohol in it) is very calming for my skin.
    I use sunsreen with tinosorbs m+s,like SPIRING PHARMA DAY LONG EXTREME SPF 50+ made in Swiss have chemical filters but is stabel becuse they use tinosorbs m+s its the numbre one sunsreen in the world.Other sunsreen i use:Shiseido Deliaid mild sunsreen wit mineral filters zinc and titanium and John Masters spf 30+ mineral filters.Avene...
    I have very good expirients with Sophyto Mega Omegas moisturizer and for washing my face i have PurBabies Chamomile Baby wash very gentle not drying.Jojoba oil,Pomegranate oil,Chamomile hydrosol,Method Baby Nappy cream with 10% zinc oxide verycalming and is not drying .I have no problem with parabens for me parabens is safe
    For education i read:SmartSkin Care.com,PubMed,MedScape(exellent).Melbourne Dermatology(exellent),Common Rosacea Triggers Lists,Beauty Brains forum itd..
    If you have problem with PD avoid ingredinets like:Petrolatum,Mineral OilParaffin,(occlusive ingredients)Dyes,cinnamic,benzoic,sorbic acids,isopropyl miristate,SLS(sodium laurly and laureth sulfate),Flourinated Toothpaste,Tartar conrol ingredints.
    Last edited by Matos; 22nd December 2009 at 10:12 AM.

I find the Neutrogena Sensitive Skin Sunscreen very drying too. In fact, many sunscreens with a high percentage of titanium dioxide or zinc oxide really dry out my skin. I use Aveeno Baby Sunblock Lotion SPF 55. It contains chemical sunscreens but isn't irritating to me.

Yeah, that's what I'm starting to think - that the high % of titanium dioxide is just drying. So if I'm going to use a sunscreen with it, I have to add a moisturizer in as well.

I have issues with certain chemical sunscreens, but not others. I've always found avobenzone (sorry I'm probably spelling it wrong) to be pretty irritating. I think the Aveeno has it? I dunno, I'll check since it's worked for some...though I find aveeno fragrances generally to be quite annoying. They seem to put fragrance in a lot of their products, too.

Thanks for the suggestions with the ingredient sites. EXTREMELY helpful!

I'm a little bummed - was still searching for a good product - had 2nd IPL recently and tried a sample of Purpose Redness Reducing Moisturizer with spf 30. My skin *LOVES* it. Unfortunately I can't find a single place that sells it!!! I'm probably going to use one of the other Purpose ones, but the spf is only 15.

Hi Mutantfrog,
    Here are some of the stores that sell the spf 30

http://www.purposeskincare.com/buyNow.jsp

If none are near you drugstore.com carries it and when you order from them they are really fast. I usually get my products in 2 days. Last time it came in 1 day!
    Good luck.

Best wishes,
    Melissa