Thread: Castor Oil

Default Castor Oil

Hi all-

I was just wondering if anyone has tried castor oil in their eye for added moisture?

I've tried drops with castor oil in the past, emulsions like Restasis and Refresh Endura, but all they did was irritate. I'd guess b/c of the glycerin and emulsifiers.

Theoretically, like jojoba oil on a wet face, using castor oil after wetting the eye with an eyedrop should mimic the tearfilm that's naturally created by the lachrymal and meibomian glands. The eye surface being slick ,however, doesn't absorb oil like the skin. I normally use jojoba oil to remove eye makeup, occasionally adding safflower, and if too much gets in my eyes they're bothered. So I don't imagine castor oil would be any different. I just have to believe there is a natural way to make our dry eyes feel more normal. Omega 3's and flax oil do wonders internally, but topically eyedrops are not enough on their own.

Thanks
    Kristen
    My weapons :

Aura/Lyra lasers-70+txs
    RLT (DPL)
    Modified OCM using; microfiber cloth, jojoba/safflower oil, & cool water
    Everyday Minerals
    Bare Minerals Primetime
    Linda Sy Oatmeal & Goodskin All Calm Cleanser
    Replenix Green Tea Serum
    homemade moisturizer w/dimethicone
    Ester C, NSI brand SOD
    Thera Tears supplement & PF gel drops

"Mornie utķliŽ (darkness has come)..Believe and you will find your way.
    Mornie alantiŽ (darkness has fallen)..A promise lives within you now."

Default my experience with castor oil

I realize this is an older thread, but it's a topic I actually know about. LOL

I began using Castor Oil as a dry eye treatment following Lasik surgery - it worked very well. My dry eyes have returned this winter, along with this rosacea flare ... and the castor oil still brings some relief. I don't use it every day.

I wrote about it here: http://mokshya.wordpress.com/2009/05...yealternative/

When castor oil gets in your eyes its NOT GOOD, it hurts but not in the same way as olive oil or something but it's still very irritating, it makes my eyes get all puffy because I'm rubbing them as a result of the irritation, and my eyes also get red.

I actually tried it one day on my eyelid/eyelashes as my eyelashes have been really dry on accutane, also I've read from a ton of places that it "grows" eyelashes, although mine are long enough, I just wanted to keep them from drying out... well the day I tried it I had something kinda important to do and I had to cancel because I looked as if I had just smoked a ton of weed or the like, my eyes were so red, and all day people were asking me "Are you okay hun? Your eyes are red." So I would NOT suggest using castor oils near/in the eyes, and if you do try it make sure to apply it extremely sparingly and on a weekend etc. when nothing important is planned.

I agree with bluesky, castor oil is no good. I used it every night for approximately 2 months and only experienced negative results.

Shame to hear it didn't work for many of you...thanks for sharing your experiences.

I had the same reaction to pure mineral oil ointment that many brands sell as PM or preservative free soothers.
    My weapons :

Aura/Lyra lasers-70+txs
    RLT (DPL)
    Modified OCM using; microfiber cloth, jojoba/safflower oil, & cool water
    Everyday Minerals
    Bare Minerals Primetime
    Linda Sy Oatmeal & Goodskin All Calm Cleanser
    Replenix Green Tea Serum
    homemade moisturizer w/dimethicone
    Ester C, NSI brand SOD
    Thera Tears supplement & PF gel drops

"Mornie utķliŽ (darkness has come)..Believe and you will find your way.
    Mornie alantiŽ (darkness has fallen)..A promise lives within you now."

Default ORGANIC COLD PRESSED castor oil

Hi, popping this one back up to say that I have revisited my nightly castor oil eye treatment, and it is still very very helpful to me. It is still helping to reduce the eye discomfort for me, and my eyes are a bit less red than they were before.

A couple of keys for me: I use only cold-pressed, organic castor oil (NOT the kind from the drugstore, used for laxatives, 'Mineral Oil USP'), usually available in Natural Foods stores and the like. And I apply a decent amount to my eyes (yes, IN the eyes), and do a warm (not hot) compress & gentle 'scrub'. A little is always left in the eyelash area and around the eyes. That's okay, probably helps as cold-pressed castor oil is mildly antimicrobial.
    Types I, II, IV - mild to moderate, depending ...