Thread: Oxytetracycline

Default Oxytetracycline

Well after 2 years of being a rosacea victim I have decided to go down the antibiotic route.

I was so against this as I believed that I could do it the natural way - changed the diet, avoided all my trigger foods, use only natural products and have had 6 IPL treatments in the last 8 months. None of which seemed to put me on an even keel - just to a level that I could be happy with.

I have used topical gels but these irritated my skin considerably which is why I was looking for something that I could do homemade - I make my own creams and potions etc.

I visited the doctor on Monday (I have flushing and papsules on both cheeks, chin and small amount on forehead) I was originally going to see if I could see a dermatologist or nutritionist to see if they could assist - but he said he wouldn't go down that route until I'd tried the tablets.

I am on 250mg of Oxytetracycline, 2 in the morning and 2 in the evening. I am also taking at lunchtime or after breakfast my usual vitamins, which are zinc and copper, burdock root, omega 3,6&9, milk thistle, multi vitamin and antihistamine. I have recently given up on the lysine as I didn't feel that had much of an impact on my skin. I use jojoba oil with a few drops of chamomile, tea tree and lavender in and also a night cream which is vitamin e and carrot cream with the above essential oils aswell.

Over the last couple of days I can actually see a slight improvement with my skin on the papsules front but the flushing has slightly got worse.

I am looking for those of you that have had success with both just antibiotics or combinations of general medicine and alternative.

Over to you guys

Hi Chelle,
    I was interested to read your post & wanted to offer you some hope too! I've travelled a similar treatment path to yourself - initially I saw my old GP & was referred to a dermatologist who said my skin was red from scarring & I should come back in 18 months. I decided I'd try & help myself.. by making drastic changes to diet - cutting out red & white meat, alcohol, caffeine, dairy & sugar, invested in IPL treatments (with no success), homeopathy & various other avenues. I was always fiercely anti-prescription medication having read a lot about the side effects of long term antibiotics.. however, I had reached the end of my tether & my skin was getting worse!
    I went to see my GP who was absolutely lovely, really listened to me & advised me me of my options. She put me on Metronidazole cream which has helped p&p's enormously - at my second appointment she prescribed 2 months of Oxytetracycline - same dosage as yourself, 250mg tablets x2 twice daily. I'm a month in & the change is phenomenal. I have struggled with rosacea for over two years & this is the only marked improvement I have seen out of anything I have tried.
    My flushing has decreased & my skin no longer appears angry & red, just slightly pink - I hope it will continue to fade
    The only side-effect I experience is quite severe nausea which comes & goes.. eating small amounts of carbs throughout the day seems to help this though! I have cut out dairy completely from my diet which really does help - but I have noticed that if I do have a small amount (as a treat!) my tolerance has improved since starting the antibiotics.
    Let me know how your experience goes, good luck! x x

Everyone is different I know, but try doxycycline 40mg per day. It is an antiflammatory at 40 mg or less.

And it is just as effective as 100 mg or more would be.

Quote Originally Posted by college_senior View Post
    Everyone is different I know, but try doxycycline 40mg per day. It is an antiflammatory at 40 mg or less.

And it is just as effective as 100 mg or more would be.
    I second that, particularly if you are averse to medicines to begin with. Low dose doxycycline (such as Oracea) is as effective as higher doses but will not disturb your normal flora.

Default antibiotic resistance with doxycycline

Quote Originally Posted by Michael_V View Post
    I second that, particularly if you are averse to medicines to begin with. Low dose doxycycline (such as Oracea) is as effective as higher doses but will not disturb your normal flora.
    Michael,

You might want to read this report that said "resistance to doxycycline can occur in a few days, with resistant bacteria in abundance after just seven days of treatment with 100 mg doxycyline daily."

Wonder if it really makes any difference if one takes a lower dose over a longer period?
    Brady Barrows
    Join the RRDi

Quote Originally Posted by Brady Barrows View Post
    Michael,

You might want to read this report that said "resistance to doxycycline can occur in a few days, with resistant bacteria in abundance after just seven days of treatment with 100 mg doxycyline daily."

Wonder if it really makes any difference if one takes a lower dose over a longer period?
    It makes a huge difference Brady...
    From that very article you linked:

But doxycycycline at 40 mg controlled dose or 20 mg bid is an anti-inflammatory dose that has no antibiotic effect so it will not promote resistance. She cautioned, however, that simply cutting a 75 mg generic doxycycline pill in half does not achieve a guaranteed anti-inflammatory effect, she said. "The low does must be administered in a dose specific pill at 40 mg or 20 mg," she said.
    You should (theoretically) not develop resistance to submicrobial doses of doxy.

Best wishes,
    Melissa

Smile

Thanks for the replies guys - I have read on this forum lots on Doxy but that was never entioned when I went to the GP. I have a months supply left of Oxytetracycline and will continue with this until my next appointment.

Jenwren - I certainly don't get the P&P my skin isn't as angry looking but still get flushed and can certainly tell when I have eaten something I shouldn't (think kippers was one that I had over Christmas). I am strict with my diet and have been doing my own blog so I can keep track of what I have been eating and a daily diary of how my skin is or how I am feeling.

I'm so paranoid about it at times though - especially in the line of work that I am in I have to deal with clients and when I have meetings I can feel myself flushing.

In the office I am fed up of having to wear summer clothes just so I don't go bright red (it's minus 6 outside at the moment).

Let me know how you're getting on too