Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Red Veins in Whites of Eyes

Default Red Veins in Whites of Eyes

I was diagnosed with blepharitis and have been doing the eyelid scrubs and warm compress for about a month now. The ophthamalogist that I went to said that the blepharitis was due to rosacea, but that my skin didn't look bad at all so he would prescribe me just an antibiotic/steroid ointment for the inflammation of my lid margins. However, about 2 weeks ago, I noticed the appearance of some red veins in the whites of my eyes that haven't faded or gone away even after using the antibiotic ointment. I'm freaking out because I'm so worried that these veins are permanent? Will they go away? I'm seeing a dermatologist next week even though my skin isn't bad at all, I'm just really worried about my eye as it looks awful to me.

Hi and welcome to the RF

You might want to do cool compresses as well as the warm compresses (which are very helpful in bleph and MGD) might be contributing to some of the dilated blood vessels. You might also want to add a rewetting drop to your regime. Restasis can help with chronic inflammation so ask your ophthalmologist about Restasis drops twice a day.

If you haven't already read this thread check it out when you get a chance:
    http://www.rosaceagroup.org/The_Rosa...ad.php?t=15902

Best wishes,
    Melissa

Hello Skyblade,

I have ocular rosacea (MGD) and use eyelid scrubs and warm compresses (well quite
    warm tbh!) and I have had the odd red vein in the white of my eye.

Just to re-assure you, mine disappeared on there own eventually!

Judworth

Melissa,

What is the benefit of cool compresses to MGD please?

Jx
    SUFFER FROM NEUROPATHIC ROSACEA & OCULAR ROSACEA.

*Ester C,Vit D3,Zinc, Theratears Omega 3 supplement.

*No topical lotions.

*Decleor HARMONIE skincare range.

*Tried Clonidine, Moxonidine & Atenolol for flushing. (none being taken at present ).

*Yearly IPL treatments until 2009.

* RLT Journey!" (Sept 09) **Using Britebox Revive..(Stopped ).

* Currently free of all ocular rosacea symptoms!

History of Hyperthyroidism (Graves)
    PROUD TO BE DIFFERENT

[QUOTE] antibiotic/steroid ointment for the inflammation of my lid margins./QUOTE]
    Hi SkyBlade. I'm curious to know what the name of the prescription is? I have an area on my upper lid that is still inflamed but my opthalmologist didn't give me anything for it (actually, it wasn't very noticeable when I was there, but that one spot has gotten worse, even on Oracea).

Melissa- would the Restasis help with the red veins in the whites of the eye? My op said to come back in Jan if I was still having problems and the regimine wasn't working (warm/cool compress, eyelid scrub, sterile eye drops/gel). The mornings, which was really bad as far my eyes feeling like sandpaper, has greatly improved, and no more conjunctavitis (sp?) like symptoms in the morning, BUT, I still have that small inflamed area in my upper lid that itches like crazy, and the whites still have lots of red veins, which really bothers me.

My opthal said there was a product made by 3M that you can make warm or cool, put it under a washcloth and use on your eyes, but I can't seem to find it anywhere.

Hi Judy,
    I suggested the cool compresses as a way of calming any redness/inflammation. The coolness can help counteract the dilation caused by the warm compresses that may be exacerbating skyblade's dilated vessels in the eye. It is mainly a supportive therapy (ie to make the eyes feel more comfortable) and can help whiten them a bit.
    Cool compresses are not a treatment for MGD though. More as a supportive therapy.

Hi Momo,
    First of all- yay on the improvement of your symptoms so far

Restasis might be able to help depending on the cause of the redness.
    See how it goes and if in Jan you still have this issue ask to try it and remember- 6 weeks to give it a chance to work.
    Regarding your upper eyelid area that itches- did you have your derm take a look at that? It could be an eczematous reaction, seb derm etc

No clue about what product your ophthalmologist was referring to re 3M.
    Why don't you call the office and ask his nurse for the exact name of the product.
    Let us know if you find out.

Best wishes,
    Melissa

[quote=Momof3;224660]
    antibiotic/steroid ointment for the inflammation of my lid margins./QUOTE]
    Hi SkyBlade. I'm curious to know what the name of the prescription is?
    The prescription is Maxitrol ointment. It doesn't seem to be doing much of anything, besides irritating me as it feels a bit gritty and gives me blurred vision for quite awhile.

I hope that these veins go away soon....I've become quite obsessed with them and it has caused me lots of stress.

Hi Melissa- I just googled it....this is what the product must be:
    Nexcare™ Reusable Cold/Hot Pack 2671

It can be microwaved and used warm/hot or refrigerated/frozen and used cool/cold.
    I must have been looking in the wrong area, or for the wrong label because Nexcare is very bold on the box- not 3M. It's probably in the first aid section of the pharmacy.

I remember having one of these before, they are nice because when you put them in the freezer they stay flexible. I would imagine its best to just put it in the fridge, rather than the freezer for eye use......?

No wonder- I was googling 3M and couldn't find anything but tape LOL

I agree- you could try the fridge as you don't want it ice cold and that may work better than the freezer

Wanted to add that Restasis made my eyes more red and irritated (used consistently for 2 years). My eyes have been much better since stopping.

Quote Originally Posted by Brighteyes View Post
    Wanted to add that Restasis made my eyes more red and irritated (used consistently for 2 years). My eyes have been much better since stopping.
    Just goes to show that everyone reacts differently
    Why did you take it for 2 years though?

Glad your eyes are better now.