Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Metrogel and Peeling

Default Metrogel and Peeling

When I apply a moisturizer (Cetaphil) over the new 1% Metrogel, the gel seems to peel off. I usually wait at least five minutes before applying the moisturizer. Still, the Metrogel forms what looks like pills on a sweater. Has anybody found a solution to this problem?

Hi Neil,

I find this too - the formulation of Metrogel is interesting. It seems to go on quickly and seal in like "saran wrap". Then putting something on top sometimes doesn't absorb or causes "pilling". I most often wear it at night for this reason if I use it.

Yvette

Thanks for your answer, Yvette. I just started using the new 1% Metrogel. I used to use Metrocream, which I liked and which worked well with moisturizers. I wonder how much better than Metrocream the new Metrogel is. Perhaps I should stick with the old Metrocream.

Hi Neil,

Well, supposedly the gel is superior to the cream and lotion. The gel has 1% of the active ingredient and the lotion and cream only .75%. Also, the gel has niacinamide in it, which is suppose to even out skin tone. You may wish to continue using the gel to see if it yields you better results. You may have to experiment finding moisterisers that are compatible if you need them. Also, are you using it at night? It's supposed to be used at night, but my Derm. said it really didn't matter. Because of the "pilling" problem and that it forms a tight layer on my face - I use it at night.

Keep us posted - take care.
    Yvette

FYI--

On my noritate tube it says 1% metro.

Thanks for the information, Yvette. I do apply Metrogel in the evening (although not always right before bed). I'll try using less moisturizer to avoid the "pilling."

Hi Neil,

Could you apply the moisturiser first and then the metrogel a bit after? Would that help the pilling?

Best wishes,
    Melissa

Hi Neil,

You are applying it right and it doesn't have to be right before bed. Since Metrogel is a gel, and more like a serum really, I think if you applied a moisteriser first, it wouldn't absorb. So, I would still apply Metrogel first, let it absorb and apply your moisteriser. One of my Derm's (who has mild Rosacea also) says she uses Metrogel at night and says she gets a little "pilling" also. Seems pretty common. It does seem to work though - reduces my redness slightly and helps keep p/p more at bay. I do use Ziana at night two times a week also.

For reference, Noritate is a heavier cream but also with 1%. My Derm. scripted this a long time ago. I didn't like it at all - very heavy, sandy/gritty like cream, and it says in the leaflet "may cause acne". I used it once - very gritty and pasty for my taste. I'd only use it if you have really dry skin and you aren't prone to p/p or acne at all.

Yvette

Hi Yvette,

What about this study:

http://rosacea-support.org/moisturis...nt-matter.html

Which seems to indicate that it is OK to moisturise before applying your topical..whether it be a cream, lotion or gel. Just wondering about this and I guess in any case it depends on the individual. Just wanted to point out that it might work for some.

Best wishes,
    Melissa

Thanks for the information, everybody. I do find the 1% Metrogel to be the most effective topical that I have tried. When I use less moisturizer, the pilling effect is less noticeable. I tended to slather on the Cetaphil cream before. I will cut back.