Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: V-beam Induced Hyperpigmentation

Hi All,

Just checking in, and I thought I'd drop a note to say that at nearly ten weeks post-VBeam I am still "hyperpigmented." I can't say for sure how much it actually has faded. Some days I feel like it has lighened, and other days I wonder if it has at all. For sure some areas are lighter than others. Of course the type of lights, mirror, etc all have an effect on the way I see things. And perhaps even more significantly, my state of mind is probably as big a factor in how I see the marks as anything else. I wonder if I'm tacitly beginning to accept the fact that I will have these stains with me no matter what I try to do to eliminate them. By the way, what I've decided to do to promote fading is to use lower than prescription strength, over-the-counter products with azelaic acid and L-arbutin and a vitamin K moisturizer (which claims to lighten unwanted skin pigmentation).

As I was thinking about my healing timeline this afternoon, I was wondering how doctors (and you all) measure the duration of hyperpigmentation: Is the general ballpark figure of 3-6 months for fading that I have seen measured post-treatment or post-clearing of the purpura? So, for example, in my case, since I had bruising that persisted for 3-4 weeks, should I be looking at my situation as six weeks down the road to recovery or ten weeks (since I was treated ten weeks ago)?

I'd also be curious to know from those of you have had hyperpigmentation from VBeam treatments what the progression of the coloring was (has been) like. MIne has been mostly brown, darker initially and now a bit lighter, maybe even speckled brown now amid my normal skin color. But there are times when I also see a kind of grayish tint to the color, and I am wondering if others have seen this, too.

Many thanks.

ive just finished the six ipl treatment since receving hyperpigmentaion from pdl,

90persent hascleared,

U can still see little dots,though but i dont care,

V beam was done six months ago.

I can finallycrossthatone off the skin prob list!!

Regards matt

Silvo Hi--
    I am now 4 months from a highly purpuric v beam. Approx. 80%plus of the hyperpigmentation is now gone I am counting the 4 months from the time of the treatment. My swelling and bruising lasted a very long time.
    I am continuing with the sodium sulfacetamide/sulfur wash (rosanil) all over my face. It does have a keratolytic effect, so I am sure this has hastened the fading of the hyperpigmentation. I started the rosanil about 3 months ago. Also I am using azelex on certain areas prone to blackheads/papules and while it has only been 2wks , I think I can tolerate the product and it has smoothed my skin.As the azelex is also keratolytic , hopefully this will help with traces of pigmentation mottling on my nose and chin. I am also putting a little of it on an area on my cheek that is darker.
    All in all, the hyperpigmentation was alot to go through . On balance though the purpuric laser was worth it for me. The worst part was not knowing that the hyperpigmentation would fade within just a few months. The laser derm had said it was hard to predict and could be up to a year or longer....that was unsettling. My regular derm said just a few more months and she was more accurate...but then she knows my skin better.
    It took forever it seemed to start fading and then things seemed to accelerate. Silvo, I hope you experience similar improvement. Let us know how it goes with the otc azelaic acid.
    Roz
    Last edited by roz; 5th October 2009 at 04:28 PM.

Roz, It's great to hear about the near-complete resolution of your hyperpigmentation. Ten weeks post-treatment for me today, and I'm not yet comfortable with the appearance of my skin. The marks are still quite defined, even if fainter, and not close enough in tone to my normal skin to ease my mind. It is quite frustrating, I have to say, for I haven't been able to keep an even mindset with respect to this issue day to day. There are good days and bad days. And this up and down, certainty and uncertainty also applies to the ways I've tried to facilitate the healing. I initially wavered on the retinoid (Tazorac) my dermatologist scripted, then tried it a few times, only to convince myself that it was too harsh and that I shouldn't press too quickly since it was rash thinking that got me in this mess in the first place (i.e., to get the laser treatment), and I'd rather not make things worse. So, then, following your useful lead about azelaic acid, I did some research and found some products with ingredients I feel okay about that claim to treat hyperpigmented skin.

It's nice to hear of others' successes and ways of dealing with assorted skin issues similar to my own, even if I'm well aware that there's no logical reason to think that my skin will react in the same ways (either positively or negatively). Despite the lack of empirical data, this forum does provide some solace. Which reminds me that it'd be nice to have some confidants to enquire about my (perceived) situation, for who knows if what I see is actually visible to others. I see many people on a daily basis, at work, but since I've had this issue not one person has commented on it. I'm pretty sure they've noticed the marks (they are visible) judging from their eye contact and the ways they touch their face if we're talking for a while (my marks are across the bridge of my nose). I suspect no one asks because they feel it's impolite to do so, and I've had the approach that I'll only offer news of the situation if someone asks. So I'm left with nothing but my own (by now very worn) perspective. Ugh.
    Last edited by Slivovice; 6th October 2009 at 02:46 PM.

Slivo--

I hope you will update in a few weeks. I would think you should then be seeing some noticeable improvement.
    Roz
    Last edited by roz; 6th October 2009 at 08:41 PM.

Thanks, Roz, for your continued responses and positive outlook. I will post again in a few weeks, around my three month mark, with a report about the status of the discoloration. It's astonishing to me, throwing around timeframes of weeks and months as we do, how drawn out this ordeal has become, not to mention the time I'm likely in for more of this.

Matt, congratulations to you on putting your hyperpigmentation behind you, and thanks for sharing how you overcame it. I have been so distraught with the effects of my last laser treatment that I simply do not have it in me to try any other "extreme" (e.g., laser, IPL, retinoids, etc) procedures to clear up my current situation.

Cheers.

Default v beam hyperpigmentation woes

Hi All
    Like you i am also suffering from V beam induced hyper pigmentation. I had purpuric settings done to a lesion and its been over 2 weeks and its now brown/red. My doctor precscribed Tri Luma.Roz, Silvo do you recommend this?
    Thanks so much

Hi Sandwich and welcome to the RF.

2 weeks is a fairly short time to evaluate any final results of purpuric VBeam so don't stress If you do a search of purpuric VBeam on the RF you will see it takes longer to see full results. The brown red marks are most likely normal healing occuring and not permanent hyperpigmentation marks so hang in there and give it some more time.

Best wishes,
    Melissa

Default v beam hyperpigmentation woes

Hi Melissa
    You provide so much comfort for those of us here. I agree that 2 weeks is a short time however I never had this hyperpigmentation problem before so I am very concerned. Any idea if I should consider Tri Luma? I have sensitive skin/rosacea. V beam worked great when it was non purpuric. This lesion is awful and I just dont know how to deal with it

Hey Sandwich
    It is very scary I know and whenever I get VBeam (non purpuric though) I am a nervous wreck for a while as every day I stress out that perhaps I won't heal and I will be left worse off than before. My husband tries to talk me back to reality LOL but until I am fully healed I am always worried so I totally understand how you are feeling right now. My best advice would be to wait it out and see what happens as most likely it will heal just fine. I am not familiar with Tri Luma but in any case I would suggest you wait a bit more after VBeam before applying anything new to your already sensitized skin that may aggravate it.

I am sure Silvo and Roz will chime in with their thoughts as well.

Hang in there. You will be OK

Melissa