Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Swelling after IPL

Angry Swelling after IPL

Hello, I am new here. I have very fair skin and suffer with rosacea. The skin on my cheeks is very, very pink, but I no longer have pimples as I use rosalox which has massively improved the situation.

Yesterday I opted for IPL treatment to reduce the redness which I found very uncomfortable. This morning my face is very red and swollen. I understood it would be redder than normal for a few days, but I am upset by the swelling. Can someone reassure me? The dermatologist never mentioned that this would happen.

Thanks

Default hello

Hey swelling is very normal,Its called edema,Some times it may take seven days to fully clear,Not to worry a common as can be side affect,

Keep us posted on your results,The face is all ways a bit icky after ipl for a few days, Once again completely normal,

Kind regards Matt

Default No worries :)

Hi shona and welcome to the RF.

I never had IPL but have had numerous VBeams (laser) and I have always been swollen for days after treatment. It is normal so don't worry. There are things you can do to help minimize it. Try to sleep on a few pillows with your head elevated a bit and avoid salty foods and drink lots of water and an antihistamine might even help. Most of all you just need time and TLC and the swelling should go down in a few days.

Best wishes,
    Melissa

Hi -

The swelling and redness is completely normal. Did you Derm/Dr. say you could apply a covered ice pack to the areas? My Derm. recommends this for swelling/redness for the first 24-48 hours. Also, if needed, sleep more upright the first day or two as this will also help lessen swelling (fluid accumulation in the face). If painful, you can ask your Derm. about taking a few Tylenol (not Ibuprofen or Advil though as these are blood thinners) to help. Cooler showers, gentle skincare, and SPF 30 when outside.

All should be better in a few days. Keep us posted and take care.

Yvette

Default I had really bad swelling

after my second BBL, my face was so swollen that I could see the tops of my cheeks every time I looked down to read. It was swollen like that for about five days. The swelling cleared up completely and the redness was greatly reduced.

I had IPL the first time in 1999 or so from one of the founders, Patrick Bitter & never experienced swelling or bruising. Yesterday I had the procedure again and my face is swollen and bruised. The nurse said she used a much migher power setting. I can see my cheeks when I look down to read. I sure hope this is normal.

Default Don't worry

It is totally normal. When I have VBeam the same happens to me. My cheeks get so swollen that I look like a chipmunk and can see my cheeks when I look down. Try to sleep with your head slightly elevated and avoid sodium and you should be good in a few days or so.

Welcome to the RF.

Best wishes,
    Melissa

Smile

Hello Shona,

I have been having IPL treatments since 2003 & I am green-eyed with very fair skin.

My last IPL treatment was 16/06/2009 & I had a complimentary treatment as the

previous one was not effective enough; they put the setting on very high (as I can tolerate it like that) but the result is that I too look like a bruised & swollen person!

Luckily I work from home as there is no way that I could go out for at least 3-4 days!

The results when the swelling subsides is worth it though!

Take care!

Judworth

Default being seen in public

Luckily I work from home as there is no way that I could go out for at least 3-4 days!

The results when the swelling subsides is worth it though!

Take care!

Judworth[/QUOTE

This is day 2 for me and I had to work. So far not a single person as asked what was wrong. and I look horribly red and swollen today. I just hold my head up and act like I always do.

]

Thumbs up Good Attitude!

Good for you!

I sometimes think we see things alot worse than others do (thank goodness!).

Judworth