Thread: Betaine HCL dosage

Default Betaine HCL dosage

Hello,

I'm new on this forum. I'm a french native speaker so please excuse me for the mistakes I will probably do in english!
    I've had rosacea for 3 or more years, but no papules, just redness first on a cheek, then the two, then forehead and finally some dilated blood vessels. In the beginning it was only flushes (I was a very shy person), then with alcohol, some foods, hot and cold temperatures, etc. Anyone here know these symptoms for sure.

I started searching a lot about that condition because I was feeling more and more miserable. All the time hearing people saying that you're red is very annoying, isn't it?

Two years ago I made a blood test, and saw I had a candida albicans problem. I started a diet for it and my condition improved a bit. Now I'm taking capylic acid with the no-sugar diet and hope it will works. But I've lost 17kg with the diet...(don't know in pounds sorry lol).

But the most interesting is that I'm also deficient in B12 vitamin. The score must be somewhere between 300-800 and I was at 273 in december. I started a sublingual cure of Cyanocobalamine (1000mcg a day), and I did a new test last week, I'm waiting the results if it's better now. I will post as soon as I know, probably this week.

But, there is another thing more interesting, it's that I've taken Omeprazole 20mg to treat acid reflux for ten years. I stopped taking omeprazole on september 2008, and did absolutely not felt any reflux anymore! Now I can eat oranges, drink vinegar, drink lemon juice, onions, etc without any pain or heartburn! Before, if I did that I would probably cry...

So here it is. I'm pretty sure that antiacids have been destroying some natural functions in my stomach, inhibiting acid production for a long time. So the yeast Candida grew up and the B12 vit was not "taken" (sorry for my poor vocabulary) in my body, because when you don't produce enough acid, the intrinsic factor (released by the parietal cells in the stomach) isn't present to digest B12 vit.
    In my family, there is a history of acid reflux problems (father and grand father), and rosacea too!

I'm now taking Betaine HCL capsules for some days with every meal (648mg-135mg Pepsin). I've just taken 2 capsules with my meal and did not feel anything, or maybe my stomach a little bloated. No heartburn nor pain. My digestion is much improved! Weird for a GERD sufferer, isn't it?

I would like to ask what is the usual dosage for Betaine? I don't know if I can go for 3 capsules a meal now... It would be smth like 1950mg Betaine, 405 mg Pepsin...
    Isn't it too much?

I think everybody must consider low stomach acid production when having rosacea or facial blood vessels dilatation. Same thing with the candida...

Best regards.
    Last edited by MasK; 10th March 2009 at 01:58 PM.

Hi MasK,

Welcome to the Forum!

That's great news your acid reflux is gone and your digestion is better. It's a relief when you find out reasons things might be the culprit and symptoms seemed to vanish.

Yes, there are many of us here who have digestion issues, sinus problems/allergies, and Reynaud's phenomenon. I had digestion issues last year also and was on antiacids as well. I also found out last Summer I have a gluten sensitivity (though I don't have Celiac disease). My Rosacea/acne/folliculitis flared up a lot during this time. I took a short course of Nizoral for the folliculitis and then bought anti-fungal vitamins shortly after. My acid reflux seems to have resolved about two months ago and when it did I started taking one HCL tablet with each meal. My Rosacea flares are less right now - which is great.

Keep us posted on your progress.

Yvette

little update : I take now 1000mg of Betaine HCL just before a meal, then 2 more 500mg capsules during and at the near end of the meal.

I just feel great, no gas, pain, burps etc.
    And my skin looks better. Some flushes approx 3 hours after a meal, but that's no more all the time now. Sometimes, it's ok no flushes at all.
    The redness seems to disappear slowly. Some broken veins have desappeard too.
    I do also take pancreatic enzymes 30 min before meal.
    They're enteric-coated (pancreatin, bromelain, amylase, lipase, papain, rutin, trypsin, alpha-chymotrypsin), they reduce inflammation.
    I started to take 500mg Lysine + 500mg vit c (morning and night on a empty stomach).

I think everybody has to try this, It's obvious rosacea is related to bad digestion.
    Just try one cap of Betaine with a meal, if no discomfort, try 2, then 3, etc.
    When you feel a little burning or irration, go back to one less.

MasK

Hey MasK -

Hi-five to you - happy this regimen is working for you! Thank you for sharing your continued progress! You must be really happy.

I totally agree with you on the connection between Rosacea (and flaring) with digestion, atleast I find this very true in my case. I too take one HCL capsule with my larger meals (lunch and dinner) and digestive enzymes (one tablet) with each meal. I've found this and my other vitamins (which also includes Lysine twice daily in the morning and night) have really helped my symptoms as well. I'm not 100% clear and don't expect to be (unless I go back on Accutane) but it definitely helps my digestion and thus I think it contributes to less flares. I haven't had acid reflux for atleast three months now - my stomach doesn't gurgle or feel upset like it was. Yeah!

By the way, do you have Reynaud's phenonmenon (ie. poor circulation)? Curious if you have this too. Some of us with Rosacea have this. I do.

Thanks again.

Yvette

I made a test for cappilaries on hands (Raynaud) but that was negative.
    I have all the time hands and feets frozen, but it doesn't seems to be Raynaud's phenomenons. but I think it is linked to Candida Albicans.

The yeast Candida grow in the bowel due to poor digestion, and lack of pancreatic enzymes and acid in the stomach. Caused in my case by many years on antacids (omeprazole).
    I really think that fixing digestion issues can make your health as good as it must be.

I'll update later for some news.

Hi -

Okay. Good information to know. Yes, please keep us in the loop regarding your progress. I'm hopeful you will have continued results.

Yvette

Hi Mask,
    I'm not a native French speaker but I've been living in France for the past few decades. I'd like to know where you get your HCL capsules. At a pharmacie or a magasin bio?
    Thanks and welcome!
    Jodi
    Permanent redness, p&p's
    Ivomec, Avene anti-redness cream

I have bought the first Betaine I used (by NOW products dosage 648mg betaine - 145 mg Pepsin) via my pharmacist, but I paid a lot for it.
    The Betaine I use now is by Natural Factors (500mg Betaine, 200mg Fenugreek) and I bought it on ebay.co.uk.
    But in France and Belgium (where I live) there are some interdictions about buying this kind of stuff on ebay.
    So you have to search on google "Betaine ebay" then click on the "Cached" link you see below the result that is interesting you, so you can see the item on the ebay site (yes it's a bit H4CK1NG lol), and buy it.
    I paid something like 15 euros for a bottle of betaine + ship fees.
    I must say that Lysine HCL + Vit C make a clear difference since I take it. Give it a try. 500mg Lysine + 500mg Vit C twice a day on a empty stomach (morning and night).

You can also take enteric-coated pancreatic enzymes one half hour at least before a meal with a lot of water, or non-enteric-coated ones immediately before a meal.
    Here's a link that is very interesting about a way to treat rosacea by Betaine, enzymes, and a little diet.
    Make also a blood test for Candida Albicans.
    Taking probiotics is absolutely necessary too,
    Fish oils, omega 3 are good to reduce the inflammation.

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/m...3/ai_100732349

This condition is not something definitive. It's definitely curable!

Best regards,
    MasK
    Last edited by MasK; 25th March 2009 at 11:17 PM.