Thread: Could Antibiotics actually cause Seborrheic Dermatitis?

Default Could Antibiotics actually cause Seborrheic Dermatitis?

Hey all.

I have a question for you guys, do you think antibiotics actually could cause Seborrheic Dermatitis?

The arguments behind this would be that antibiotics kills the good bacteria that are needed to keep yeast fungus under control - seborrheic dermatitis is thought to be caused by yeast.

I have taken tetracyclin(Antibiotics) in very high doses 2 years ago. Seb derm occured just after for the first time ever.

But I cant really understand this. Becuase shouldn't the skin be able to balance itself after the end of antibiotics?

The question I just want to raise is if this in theory could be correct?

Btw. could someone move this to Similar and co-existing conditions section?

Thanks

Default Sure

Certainly possible, although I understand this is more of a problem with the macrolides than he tetracyclines. However, if you are very sensitive to changes in skin flora, could happen.

I found that if I get my seb derm under control (with my hydorcortisone regime) I can take tetracyclines no problem.
    "Get busy living or get busy dying."

Quote Originally Posted by J-Mill View Post
    Certainly possible, although I understand this is more of a problem with the macrolides than he tetracyclines. However, if you are very sensitive to changes in skin flora, could happen.

I found that if I get my seb derm under control (with my hydorcortisone regime) I can take tetracyclines no problem.
    Thanks for answering J-Mill.

Well, you expressed my exact thought. But after tetracyclin(antibitoics) shouldn't the skin return to normal? - I mean shouldn't the skin flora change back to normal?

I know that antibiotics only stays in your body a certain time limit, so I cant see why people then get stucked with Seb derm from it..

Could you perhaps give me an answer on that, becuase I really cant find the logic in it ...?

Thx

Default seb derm and antibiotics

Yeah I would say it can aggravate it, I don't believe antibiotics cause seb derm. Seb derm is caused imo by a immune system malfunction of some type (most likely an over-reaction to normal skin fungal flora).
    "Get busy living or get busy dying."

Quote Originally Posted by J-Mill View Post
    Yeah I would say it can aggravate it, I don't believe antibiotics cause seb derm. Seb derm is caused imo by a immune system malfunction of some type (most likely an over-reaction to normal skin fungal flora).
    WRONG! Antibiotics do indeed worsen/cause seborrheic dermatitis. I am a PRIME example. Had seb derm on my face, and mildish acne on face/body. Went to dermatologist (STUPID FUCKING DECISION). Now have moderate acne on back/shoulders. Seb derm all over.

Sorry for the old thread bump, but I was going to post something similar to this. I need to take antibiotics every 6 months, like 6 pills which is quite a high dosage. But still, maybe this could be a factor to my SD.

It seems research only tends to show antibiotics can make malassezia-conditions worse. http://www.facingacne.com/killing-germs-wrong/ ; http://synapse.koreamed.org/DOIx.php....2011.23.3.321 ; http://www.scirp.org/journal/PaperDo...?paperID=26149.

I extensively google-searched this question about 6 months ago, and the articles above were the only ones I could find, which was surprising to me -- I expected this question would have been researched more often, and with clearer conclusions too, but apparently not.

People on this forum have often commented on a connection with antibiotic use and seb derm worsening, and it seems very logical that bacteria and yeast on the skin would exist in some kind of equilibrium, and antibiotics would upset that balance. You might keep a log or take photos on a daily basis. Then you could report on any connection you experience.

Default Birth Control Pills also help cause SD

Hi All, I've been lurking for some months and have read w/great interest everyone's stories, success/failures alike and can only share what I've experienced with my SD battle. What has been the trigger for me mainly was taking tetracycline in my 20's for my oily/acne prone skin. I've always been very oily and started getting blackheads as soon as puberty hit. I also had backne along with acne/blackheads on upper arms/chest and heavily on T-zone of my face, thus the tetracycline use for 17 years of duration, from late teens to early 30's, and I do know it created a deep seated fungal infection systemically. I've been fighting one type of fungal/yeast infection or another since then but no SD until later. In my early 30's I noted the start of dandruff with mild flaking and only when I went on birth control pills at age 36 did the SD start to creep in on me, starting with blepharitis and then a sudden hard/fast SD attack on my scalp at age 38 after months of dealing with stubborn flaky eyebrows/sides of nose and light dandruff. Within days of the attack my scalp was literally on FIRE, horrid itch, hot to the touch, I had a ring of "crust" at the hair line and my hair was falling out in droves from the inflamed scalp. I saw a dermatologist who promptly said "SD" and prescribed the typical Nizoral shampoo and topical cortisone drops. After 3 weeks or so the attack abated and hair loss slowed down - but now like clockwork I have an attack when the summer comes and temps go over 85-90 degrees.
    I learned that the Pill depletes the body of B vitamins, particularly biotin, B6 and B12 as well as zinc - all of which contribute to SD. As well, taking the long term tetracycline likely destroyed my gut environment for life.
    Now at age 53 I'm still dealing with sensitivity to yeast/mold/fungus and fight off the annual SD "summer flare" along with newly developed skin lesions on random places on my body as well as perioral dermatitis - and using the topical antibiotics and topical cortisone creams/gels/washes prescribed by the dermatologist has not made ONE IOTA OF A DENT in helping at all - only using topical antifungal washes and creams have helped. I also have had great success (not a cure, just helps control) with dabbing on ACV and Hydrogen Peroxide (have to vary them as the fungus gets resistant) and using Lotrimin Ultra cream (which I learned about on this site). I also deal with perianal yeast infections and control it pretty effectively by every day drying off with a blow dryer after bathing (washing with antifungal wash of course) and applying antifungal powder to the area to keep it dry. But when you have SD you're oily in the "midline", which I am very much so.
    Very frustrating to be a women with such oily skin but it's a family trait, along with hypothyroidism - and I do think the 2 are heavily linked.
    Yes, I change pillow cases daily, I wash my face/body with rotating brands of antifungals, use antifungal creams and keep cosmetic use to a minimum, eat organically and eat very well, don't drink/smoke/take drugs (never have), exercise most days, get good sleep, take Armour Thyroid, for menopause balance take low dose topical estrogen/progesterone, take vitamins, use probiotics/digestive enzymes.....yada yada yada.............truly nothing helps with the control is this darn oily skin.
    Years of repeat blood testing shows my testosterone levels to be "low normal", DHEA is "normal", Cortisol is "normal" so it's not an androgen issue creating the oil, myself I think it's from the thyroid being low along with lowered resistance to the candida/yeast - as my skin is much less oily when yeast is temporarily under control.
    Yes thyroid is still trending low but now fairly well controlled with bio-identical thyroid glandular (change of season is always a challenge, meds must be changed up/down with weather) - the key is to never get overdosed on thyroid meds, then you're really in trouble.
    I have had extensive testing done and have tested positive for low thyroid, 2 parasites (H, Pylori & Blastocystis Hominis), high yeast antigens (blood and stool) - all my vitamin/mineral profiles have been done repeatedly, pretty good in that regard. Food allergies tested, truly only have allergy to brewer's yeast (mold) and cane sugar (due to yeast problems) and an a couple of odd foods, like chicken, that I never eat anyway. Tested negative for celiac disease but went gluten free 2 years ago anyway and promptly lost 10 pounds that were stubbornly hanging on - so that's significant by itself. The list of testing goes on and I wont' bore you all any further. But I do think the ROOT of my issues are fungal, from the gut being destroyed by antibiotics and then later birth control pills also promoting more yeast along with depleting key nutrients.
    I've never been the same since my early 30's when the yeast issues first hit me, have never been able to tolerate eating sweets or drinking alcohol - just get too many yeast reactions quickly. I had thrush BADLY for almost 2 decades before discovering emulsified oregano oil, which I take 2-3x/week via tablet, now the thrush is at a low roar vs. a coated mess on my tongue. I've also experimented with taking lengthy rounds of prescription antifungals, Nizoral/Sporonox/Diflucan as well as Amphotericin-B - every time I take them I feel WONDERFUL..........and all my yeast issues/SD go away. But within weeks of going off they always creep back and I can't take them long term due to liver damage potential.
    My PD didn't start until last March - that's odd in itself as it tends to be a disease of the young, not typically developing in someone of my age. So being atypical makes me a problem for docs...
    To date it's never abated, just well controlled from it's original oozing/scaling beginning to now a couple light red mark on my chin, sometimes scaly/sometimes not - but always smoldering....
    So that's my story - I'll continue to learn and hopefully improve from reading the suggestions on this site. The Lotrimin Ultra worked for my PD within 2 days, unlike the prescription junk from docs.