Thread: Rosacea on one cheek only

Default Rosacea on one cheek only

Hello to all,
    I am new to Rosacea, redness, pustules, irritation, pain... and a realization that I am pretty vain. I have been obsessed with this new diagnosis that was given to me after a biopsy was done (at first my dermatologist thought it was a fungal infection). And I can't stop googling it. Yup. So now I'm red and I have a scar in the middle of it. Oh, and it's just on one cheek.
    Has anyone out there heard of rosacea on just one cheek? My dermatologist continues to tell me that I'm just not very typical... anywho, my face is not itchy anymore, and it does not burn. It's just red. I am wondering if it's Couperose?
    Thanks for reading my debbie-downer post.
    Karin
    (like Kah-reen)

Hi Karin and welcome to the Forum.

Rosacea can definitely affect you asymmetrically and I do have occasions where I flush only on one side or one side flushes more than the other. A lovely look.

I would not classify yourself as vain just because you find it distressing that rosacea is changing your appearance. I think almost anyone would share the feeling of aggravation and being upset and dismayed over what rosacea can do to our appearance when it is not controlled.

You may find this link helpful

http://rosacea-research.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page

What are you using to treat your symptoms now?

Best wishes,
    Melissa

Yes I agree with Missy, I often flush on just one side and do not have the same pattern of redness on both cheeks.

I would also interested to know what you have tried.

Best wishes

Sarah

Default thanks for replying!

Hi to both and thanks for the encouraging words,
    Well, at first, we didn't know what it was because, literally, one cheek was out of control, with pustules, irritation, redness... the other one, super clear, no lie... It was not this extreme at first, and I aggravated my skin even more due to not knowing what it was and using all kinds of soaps on my face... so when we didn't know what it was my derm. had me on Doxycycline, Lamisil, and Protopic...(in case it was a fungal infection, or a staph infection, or rosacea..).
    With all of that my face didn't really get that much better.. my derm. didn't instruct me on how to wash my face, moisturize, etc... and I'm pretty ignorant when it comes to that stuff, and make up, etc...
    After we learned it was Rosacea, he put me on Finacea at night, and Sulfacet in the morning, and said to continue with the Doxycycline. At first, it was getting better... then my skin started peeling, getting really red, and I decided to change to a different dermatologist that had better social skills and more experience.
    Dr. Schaeffer (my new derm.) said to stop using Finacea and Sulfacet because it had irritated the crud out of my skin (and biopsy scar) and said to continue on the Doxycycline, and to just put Desonide at night, and a Cetaphyl moisturizer (for dry skin) in the morning. He also instructed me on how to wash my face (Cetaphyl for all skin types) I thought it was strange (since both of those products have alcohol), but I decided to trust him. The next day, my cheek felt healthier, it did not itch, it did not burn! So I have been doing that for the last 2 weeks... it's healing reallllllllllllly slowly. And I'm seeing broken capillaries... I don't care though, it feels healthier and under control.
    Whew! that was a long response and I'm late to work.
    What do yall use?
    Thanks!
    p.s. And I have olive tone skin (I'm Peruvian) so that also baffles me...

Hi Karin,

It's great that you found a derm who listens and can help you.
    You will find that for as many people here there is that much variety in what people use on their face and what works for them.

To answer your question though-

I am taking Oracea (40 mg timed release doxy) every AM.
    I cannot tolerate any prescription topicals on my face.

I use Eucerin cleansing gel for red irritated skin to wash my face and I use CeraVe lotion and cream and Eucerin original formula lotion and cream to moisturize.

For sunblock I use vanicream spf 60 for sensitive skin if I will be outside much of the day and I use Linda Sy spf 20 just for regular work days.

Best wishes,
    Melissa

I am glad that you seem to be improving. I notice that you are using desonide. I was wondering how long you have used it and for how much longer are you going to?

Hi there,
    my rosacea started on one cheek only and after about a year it spread to the other cheek too.

the cheeks evened out eventually and were equally bad.

I've manageed to control the situation now though.

best wihses
    moomy
    dx early 2006.
    current stategy;
    finacea, lightstim (red light therapy), 10 x IPL and 7 x low level PDL (n-light)

Default desonide

I guess I have been on it for almost three weeks... not long at all... i now just use it at night.. and every morning, my face looks less red (so I look forward to waking up so that i can see my normal skin color on my cheek which i miss
    I have heard desonide might not be good for rosacea.. but it is helping with the irritation on my face.
    thanks everyone for your replies and if you have experienced rosacea on just one cheek, please share!