Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Really bad swelling after IPL!

Default Really bad swelling after IPL!

Hi everyone,
    I had my second IPL on thursday, it was still painful as ever, but the nurse was good, she took her time to get me through it. I was fine after the IPL, same as before, just redness, as well as a little bruise on my right cheek, and some blistering on that bruise, as well as below my eye on my left cheek. The nurse must have saw the blisters forming, she said to put polysporin on them if they break. I used air condiitoning the whole way home, about an hour or so, it helps my face, I just make sure it doesn't get too cold. That night, my face started to swell, especially on the left side of my face. My cheeks swelled a lot too, my face became huge and puffy.
    The next morning, my left eye was almost swollen shut, some of the blisters were broken too, and the bruised spot now looked like I scraped my face on something rough, its very small though, about half the size of a quarter. I had an already scheduled appointment with my GP, he couldn't believe it, I don't think he even knew what to say. He said I looked like a completely different person. He suggested I go to my dermatologist's office, but they were closed until tomorrow. He also felt my face, and said it must hurt, it did feel very tight. He suggested ice and rest, and took me off work for the day, and would have for the next day, but I had it off anyways. I got lots of stares from everyone that day, my face looked deformed...
    Is this normal? It was scary!

It's probably worth mentioning, that I had minor swelling last time, a lot of puffiness below the same eye, nothing 15 minutes of icing wouldn't fix. I iced that for 2 hours before I went to my GP that morning, hardly made a difference.
    I am still on the lowest level on the laser too...

Swelling post any form of laser is quite common. I had a pdl treatment on thursday and my right cheek swelled up quite a bit. Today it is nearly back to normal but in the past I know the swelling has lasted abit longer.

Are you sleeping with your head raised up. I make sure that for at least five days post treatment I sleep with an extra pillow to help reduce swelling. I have also read that washing too quickly post IPL can allow the face to absorb more water.

You donít need high IPL energies to damage blood vessels. Find an IPL Practitioner who understands this and uses multiple pass procedures. Donít apply too much water to your face for several hours after the IPL session. The water is easily absorbed and can increase the swelling. If you get to the point where you no longer reduce facial redness through IPL, then focus on reducing flushing to continue your reduction in facial redness and rosacea.
    pg 13 http://www.ausci.com/ROSACEA%20BOOKLET.pdf

If I were you I would take a photo to show your dermatoligst when you next go. Are you sure they kept the levels low, if you blistered as well it sounds like they may have turned it up a little.

How is your face now, any better yet?

Thanks Phlika!
    I was pretty badly swollen til yesterday, I can still see it today, but others probably wouldn't notice it really. My face is still puffy, and I have little bags under my eyes. I have some scabs where the blisters were as well. I've been sleeping on as many pillows as my neck can manage. My head was certainly raised a lot and the swelling was still bad. I never put any water on my face until the next day at least, it was too irritated. I did put sunscreen on it though.
    I took some photos and will bring them to the dermatologist. I am going to give them a call tomorrow, because if it was that much worse this time, what is it going to be like next time. My eye was almost swollen shut, and that was scary, and the ice was barely helping. I'm a little nervous to do this again.
    I know they were on the lowest level, and that the level didn't change from last time. She said she wouldn't turn it up next time either, because I had swelling the first time, but this time it was so much worse!

Do you know what filter they were using?

Dr Crouch gives you a tube of flamazine incase of blisters.

I have no idea... I know the machine is called limelight, and the number of the level used was 12 (I think). I'm not sure how exactly the levels work. The nurse said this was the lowest level.

Hi, I had an IPL 72 hours ago and my face is still quite puffy and swollen. It seems to have slightly improved but its hard to tell. Its worse in the mornings, I have had my head elevated on a few pillows.

Anyone else had similar experiences? No horror stories please

Hi hiya ,
    I never had IPL but whenever I have VBeam I get really swollen no matter what precautions I take. That is I sleep somewhat elevated and use cool compresses etc. I stay swollen for at least 3-5 days and look like a chipmunk

DO not stress. The swelling will go down. Just try and relax, sleep elevated and your swelling should go down within a few days.

Best wishes,
    Melissa

Hi Thanks for the reassurance! Its good to know other people have experienced the same thing and that it resolves eventually.

Thanks

I've been given the go-ahead to try it again from my dermatologist. I'm pretty much willing to do anything to get rid of this rosacea. I will definitely ice it constantly this time, and will elevate my head when I sleep (I slept on several pillows last time too though). I scheduled off from work for two days, and will rest a lot and ice it like crazy, without getting it too cold of course.
    I am very interested to see how it goes, I have not seen my dermatologist since my before my last treatment, and won't see him this time either, but I will see him a few days later for an unrelated skin issue. So I will talk to him about the whole thing then.
    Crossing fingers that this will all go well!