Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Probiotics- side effects/die-off?

Default Probiotics- side effects/die-off?

I had been taking Natren probiotics (6 billion/day) for a while with no problems. On the advice of a nutritionist I switched brands to one that is 15 billion/day. I took it a few days in a row and felt like my face was more itchy/rashy/irritated than usual. I switched to every other day and then went away for a week and didn't take it with me. I had a few really good days while I was away.

Over the weekend I pretty much ate whatever I wanted, so I don't know if something in my diet (extra sugar, peanuts, etc.) caused my to have an itchy rashy flare up, or if it was the probiotics I tried to take again yesterday.

I took one around 9:30 in the morning and by last night my face was really itchy with some rashy areas and a few bumps with a little weeping.

Has anyone experienced die-off from probiotics and does this sound like it could be? I'm going to stop taking them again for a while and go back to my normal diet and if everything clears I'll try it again and see if it happens. Just not sure if it could actually be a reaction to this particular probiotic or die-off, or just a coincidence and it was a reaction to something I ate.

Thanks!

~J

I certainly experienced some kind of reaction from a high-strength probiotic. Whether it was 'die-off' or something else, I am unsure.

In my case, the probiotic was a 35 billion formulation. After taking it for a few days, my fingers really started to swell, and after a further couple of days, I could barely move them. I can't recall now whether I had other additional symptoms - this was certainly the most noticeable. The swelling went down almost immediately upon me discontinuing.

Whether it was just this particular probiotic, or the strength of it, I don't know. I had been continually taking lower-strength probiotics without this swelling. In fact, from those I got more classic die-off symptoms initially - flu-like feeling etc.

So, my opinion would be, I think, that it is perfectly possible that the rashy flare-up you report is an effect of the probiotics.

Hi J,

How come your nutritionist wanted to up your probiotic intake?

Melissa

Quote Originally Posted by melissawohl View Post
    Hi J,

How come your nutritionist wanted to up your probiotic intake?

Melissa
    He thought I had some sort of gut dysbosis (bacterial overgrowth) from my gut issues (gastroparesis). He thought upping the probiotics would help speed that treatment. Unfortunately, I think it hurt more than it helped- unless it was a die-off and I didn't give it enough time, but I really just can't handle anymore red/itchy/rashiness right now, die- off or not! So, I'm going off probiotics again for a week or two and see what happens. I'm still taking my digestive enzymes, though, which I LOVE!

~J

That's great about the digestive enzymes and I would say re the probiotics to go back to the original dose you were taking when you are ready. I say slow and steady wins the race!

Best wishes,
    Melissa

From what i have read, around 5 billion a day should be enough to get positive effects. The dose you took seems quite high to me.
    I also read somewhere that people who suffer from leaky gut can get undesirable side effects from probiotics. So it's a bit of a catch 22: take probiotics for intestinatal health but first one needs to ensure that the gut lining is healthy....
    eric

i just recently purchaced some made by new chapter.. all-flora organic. it has 8 billion. i bought the powder kind.
    the herblist said it's the best. i see some of you mention ones higher than 8 billion though.

i experienced no bad side effects, but to mention.. 1st time i took it all of a sudden i was seeing everything so clearly in my surroundings and my aura felt so vibrant... it was exactly as though i reached up in higher dimensions and i felt an energy boost. an example but not to claim the exact feeling... but like if you hadn't showered for a few days or more and was dirty and finaly took a shower and felt so re-freshed afterwards... imagine that but with this that i experienced being on an energetic level... my aura ect and attention span and awareness boosted. i kept feeling my insides saying thank you.
    i tried another kind last year in caps... it didn't do this to me, but a very tad-bare minuim.

however, after experience that i also hadn't noticed how weighed down i was with just things that happened over the past year after i took that probiotic...i still felt unbalanced ect ..i phoned my healer to do a session on me to clear stuff out... to help give me a fresh start and some better guidance in my current life. felt amazing.
    Eat up your spinach, it'll put color in your cheeks.
    But I don't want green cheeks!

Smile

That's great about the digestive enzymes and I would say re the probiotics to go back to the original dose you were taking when you are ready. I say slow and steady wins the race!

Best wishes,
    Melissa
    Hi Melissa!

Which enzymes do u use? Some people take betaine hydrocloride with pepsin. I tried it 4 a couple of days and at 1st it seemed ok but then I started getting like this reflux, so I guess I don't need like some people. Some people take it after a high protein meal. I have trouble digesting proteins, now I know after a prickling test from the Allergist. What can u suggest, i undertand u r not a dr but u do have a lot of knowledge
    31 year old male from Puerto Rico
    Skin type: oily

Clinique Mild Liquid Soap
    Clinique Instant Mineral Relief Powder
    Clinique Almost Powder Makeup SPF 15
    Metrogel 1%
    DERMAdoctor Acne Control Serum
    DERMAdoctor Born to be Mild for seb derm
    SOLODYN 65mg:
    Supplements
    Digestive Enzymes Veggie caps
    Probiotic 60 Billion
    Zinc
    Selenium
    Dry Vitamin E
    Vitamin D

Hi Erikson,

I appreiate your confidence in me but I know very little about digestive enzymes and do not take them. I have a few links that I think may be helpful though.

http://www.enzymestuff.com/digestion.htm#9

and from that same link:

And here is an article with illustrations on how food intolerances can lead to the promotion of extra histamine and other chemicals being released, and possibly causing cell disruption, due to the immune system response:
    http://worldshealthiestfoods.com/gen...me=faq&dbid=30
    and
    http://www.nationalenzyme.com/data_f...search_Web.pdf

A good summary about digestive enzymes is here:
    http://www.vitamins-supplements.org/digestive-enzymes/

and from http://www.herbalremedies.com/enzymes.html
    Enzyme Supplementation
    The use of enzymes as a supplement with meals has been popular for some time. We consume cooked and processed foods such as fast foods that are nutritionally incomplete. This adds to the burden of the pancreas and immune system to replace lost enzymes, robbing the body of energy production, enzyme reserve and function. Enzyme supplementation with meals is a very good preventive measure.
    A good general digestive formula, should contain betain HCI (increases stomach acidity), pancreatin and pancrelipase ( digests starches, fats, proteins), papain (digests proteins), pepsin (digests proteins), diatase (digest starches), and Ox Bile (digests fat).

And lastly, here is a thread that you may also find helpful
    http://www.rosaceagroup.org/The_Rosa...estive+enzymes

In that thread there is more info about what enzymes but I would recommend you check with your doctor/allergist about this as they might have some recommendations as to which digestive enzymes to try.

I am not taking any currently as I do not have any digestive issues but there does appear to be some benefit so it is an interesting subject to explore.

Best wishes,
    Melissa

Thumbs up

Hi Erikson,

I appreiate your confidence in me but I know very little about digestive enzymes and do not take them. I have a few links that I think may be helpful though.

http://www.enzymestuff.com/digestion.htm#9

and from that same link:

and
    http://www.nationalenzyme.com/data_f...search_Web.pdf

A good summary about digestive enzymes is here:
    http://www.vitamins-supplements.org/digestive-enzymes/

and from http://www.herbalremedies.com/enzymes.html

And lastly, here is a thread that you may also find helpful
    http://www.rosaceagroup.org/The_Rosa...estive+enzymes

In that thread there is more info about what enzymes but I would recommend you check with your doctor/allergist about this as they might have some recommendations as to which digestive enzymes to try.

I am not taking any currently as I do not have any digestive issues but there does appear to be some benefit so it is an interesting subject to explore.

Best wishes,
    Melissa
    Thank u very much, Melissa!
    31 year old male from Puerto Rico
    Skin type: oily

Clinique Mild Liquid Soap
    Clinique Instant Mineral Relief Powder
    Clinique Almost Powder Makeup SPF 15
    Metrogel 1%
    DERMAdoctor Acne Control Serum
    DERMAdoctor Born to be Mild for seb derm
    SOLODYN 65mg: