Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Telangiectasia question [growing everywhere!]

Default Telangiectasia question [growing everywhere!]

Hi

I was wondering if anybody has had any success getting rid of telangiectasia without using laser or any burning agent to coagulate the vessels. Diet, topical, anything?
    I'm trying to figure out if laser is my only option.

I had 3 IPL's earlier without any visible difference but I stopped due to my sudden fear that it somehow could enhance my condition over time, or damage the skin otherwise. I can somewhat live with it now, but I am really scared if it should be any worse.

What I have seen lately is also that I have gotten telangiectasia (or broken capillaries) on my chest as well. It is a big line of them covering the whole chest right under the pectoral muscle. Around the height where your arms will rest if you fold them in front of you. I think they have been there for some time, but that they have been more prominent now so I discovered them. What is really strange is that I have never flushed there ever and the skin looks otherwise fine, so it's not because of repeatedly flushing. Maybe I have gotten a sunburn on the skin there, but thats ages ago and I have had several sunburns other places (like my shoulders and arms) and with no visible vessels. So this does not make any sense to me.

I am scared that it will grow more vessels around my body, and a that a "laser fight" will be a lost cause because they will always grow back if I can't correct the underlying condition.

Any thoughts is appreciated!

Retired Moderator

Well, there is a disease called generalized essential telangiectasia that causes a pattern of telangiectasia growth. (http://www.emedicine.com/derm/topic164.htm) However, if it is restricted to a very limited area, this is not as likely. However, it may give you something to investigate.
    Regardless, they can occur anywhere, anytime, at any age to those people that are prone. I have/had a small "cluster" on the side of my rib cage under my left arm. Had the doc laser them with KTP laser. Pretty much reduced them to almost invisible.
    I got pretty worked up when I discovered my little cluster and did quite a bit of reading and spoke to my derm, etc. Seems it's not that unusual. My derm said, and likely quite correctly, that people who suffer from skin disorders, are much more critical of each thing that appears. In her opinion, most people with a more or less perfect complexion, wouldn't notice or care about a couple of telangiectasia on their chest as you describe. Conversely, those of us with a shall we say less than perfect complexion, tend to see it as just another sign of the apocolypse.
    Rob

Found this source and wanted just to add some more thoughts:
    http://www.vein-treatment.net/spider...me-treatments/

What about yoga, stretching and or massage? Could it be an issue with circulation and stiff muscles? I know I'm exposed for varicose veins as well, because I have those prominent vessels on my legs (lucky me).

If I press on the veins very gently the skin becomes clear, but as soon as I remove my finger the blood fills up the vein again. A possible stupid idea: What if for instance I taped something on the vein, effectively simulating a finger touch, and let it sit on for a long time. Would that get rid of the excess blood, rerouting it elsewhere? Or would it only be worse when removed, since then skin is starved for blood

Just thinking out loud here...Has anybody tried such thing as massage, exercise and stretching? could it also be possible to do such thing with the face muscles? I can see that when I am exercising light my face seems much better, it's almost like the blood that pooled up in the veins are forced to circulate and thus I'm less red.

Quote Originally Posted by boyandhisdog View Post
    Well, there is a disease called generalized essential telangiectasia that causes a pattern of telangiectasia growth. (http://www.emedicine.com/derm/topic164.htm) However, if it is restricted to a very limited area, this is not as likely. However, it may give you something to investigate. Regardless, they can occur anywhere, anytime, at any age to those people that are prone. I have/had a small "cluster" on the side of my rib cage under my left arm. Had the doc laser them with KTP laser. Pretty much reduced them to almost invisible.
    Thanks for your answer! I will look into the URL. Yes it's exactly like that. There is a cluster under my arms on both sides on the rib cage, and the clusters are connected with a line over my chest. In addition there is a cluster at the center.

Quote Originally Posted by boyandhisdog View Post
    I got pretty worked up when I discovered my little cluster and did quite a bit of reading and spoke to my derm, etc. Seems it's not that unusual. My derm said, and likely quite correctly, that people who suffer from skin disorders, are much more critical of each thing that appears. In her opinion, most people with a more or less perfect complexion, wouldn't notice or care about a couple of telangiectasia on their chest as you describe. Conversely, those of us with a shall we say less than perfect complexion, tend to see it as just another sign of the apocolypse.
    Haha your so right!! When I discovered the new broken vessels on my chest I felt the world was falling down on my for some time, very depressing feeling. It's really stupid, I know that, but as you say when you have this disease your really upset when you see sign of progression. Especially when it's on an entirely new place. This is also the reason I only talk about these things here at this forum, I'm a little embarrassed that this is such an issue for me

Retired Moderator

I don't think you should be embarassed at all, but the anonimity of this forum is nice.
    Anyway, hope other people can give you better advice than I.
    Rob

With regards stuff to try the best I can suggest is Diosmin, vitamin D3 or grape seed extract.

Not saying they will make them magically disappear but may or may not help to lessen the appearance.

no worries - I got the same thing too

I tried (unsuccessfully) to laser them off myself with
    my Red Laser Pen-Light

Guess I'll just live with them

mfm

Quote Originally Posted by phlika29 View Post
    With regards stuff to try the best I can suggest is Diosmin, vitamin D3 or grape seed extract.

Not saying they will make them magically disappear but may or may not help to lessen the appearance.
    Wow Diosmin sounds like a great product! (but it's not the first time I have obsessed about a herbal supplement hehehe). Thank you for notifying me, I will see how it works out for Artist, and probably buy something as well. Just has to do some more googling to find if there are any potential side effects, just want to be sure.

Yeah we are all waiting for artist

I have a few on my chest too, just above the cleavage area. When I was profusly flushing all the time last year my chest neck and face where effected, so it is no surprise to me that a few have appeared in this area.

I also have a lot on my legs. Have had on the calves for some time but in recent years some are starting to appear on the thighs. I put this down to occupational hazard. I have spent all my working days in my feet and this is part and parcel of what you end up with.

I have been tempted to try one of the vitaminK creams, like Skin Doctors Vein Away Plus but I'm not sure I want to take the risk of upsetting my skin with another product when it is quite calm at the moment. If I ever did try something like this I would probably try it on my legs, but they don't really bother me there as I have them covered most of the time or slap loads of false tan on them in the summer, which makes them less noticeable.