Thread: Demodex question

Default Demodex question

I've been reading about Demodex involvement in Rosacea, and how some Rosacea sufferers whose symptoms came out of nowhere and progressed very rapidly (like mine) were in fact caused by a mite infestation. I was looking for a demodex treatment that I could safely use as a little side "experiment" to see how my symptoms react. I figure it's worth a try.

I've heard a lot about ZZ Cream, but I think that'd be waaaay too harsh for my skin. Has anyone tried Xin fumanling creme? It contains 3% Metronidazole, which I heard can help symptoms. Can it be used with an oral antibiotic?

Are there any other non-prescription products that might be worth a try?

Thanks so much.

I did find one online one day. I think it is called Relief-N-Rescue or something like that. Don't know anything about it, except that it claimed ot kill the demodex, too.

I've also read about Seabuckthorn (I think it's called) and that it is supposed to kill them off, but then I also read there isn't any proof to that.

http://www.bluesagenaturals.com/reliefnrescue.php

You can look at it and see if it's worth trying. They have small samples that are much cheaper than the ZZ stuff.

Good luck!

Mine also came on very rapidly and my derm has mentioned demodex to me. It is out of control right now so I'm going to see her today. I am hoping she will let me try oral ivermectin and she'll probably prescribe topical premethrin (used for lice- gross!!!)

~J

Thanks, B2FR! I'll check out that link. I hope your doctor prescribes what you're looking for. =]

Quote Originally Posted by Lauren 007 View Post
    Thanks, B2FR! I'll check out that link. I hope your doctor prescribes what you're looking for. =]
    Well, she didn't (of course), but she said that what she was looking at is clearly dermatitis. I asked about fungus/demodex, etc., but she said that's not it. I am clearly reacting to something, just not sure what. I am going to my allergist on Monday for patch testing. If this is all part of some steroid reaction recovery process I could be setting myself up for a major setback by following her advice!

She put me on Desonide .05% (I know, I know- steroids!). I asked her about it w/regards to rosacea. She said she understands it can flare rosacea, but I need to get my skin calm, and then wean off of it and I should be fine. So for now it's Desonide 2x/day until it clears, then wean myself to once day then every other etc. I think I'm only going to do it once, and also Protopic once a day. I think I'll do Desonide in the AM and Protopic at bed. I'm on an antibiotic- Keflex- for 10 days, too.

My rosacea is very mild- well, it was before all of this- just some occassional social flushing. Hopefully this round of 'roids won't make it any worse. Fingers crossed this clears me up for now! I've gotten it under control before, so I'm hoping I can do it again and then maintain it with something more natural, like Hope's Relief Cream, which should be coming in the mail soon.

Never a dull moment!!!

Quote Originally Posted by boo2facialredness View Post
    My rosacea is very mild- well, it was before all of this- just some occassional social flushing. Hopefully this round of 'roids won't make it any worse. Fingers crossed this clears me up for now! I've gotten it under control before, so I'm hoping I can do it again and then maintain it with something more natural, like Hope's Relief Cream, which should be coming in the mail soon.

Never a dull moment!!!
    That's good news that you've gotten it under control before; hopefully it'll calm down quickly with the meds. I think using it once a day and seeing how things go from there is a good idea. All the best!

Default Demodex Mites

What I did that seemed to help my skin was to simply "smother" the mites. Read that Pond's Cold Cream could do just that so thought "why not"?? Doesn't cost a lot and free from any side effects. After you clean your skin, apply Ponds extra heavy and let it sit for several hours, think night is best, but is messy. The next morning, I noticed a difference in the color of my skin, didn't seem near as red looking. You might try it, not too expensive to try. I use Metrogel also, but haven't used it faithfully as it seemed to just make my face turn redder. Good Luck!