Thread: Hcl?

Default Hcl?

I've been hearing a lot about how many Rosaceans share a bad digestion trait or that, by treating low stomach acid or stomach bacteria, they were able to get some relief in their Rosacea symptoms. I've been lactose intolerant since I was seven; does this have any correlation to Rosacea? I've heard of HCL tablets... What are they, exactly?

I would have just done a search for this, but short words like "HCL" won't go through the search mechanism...

Hi Lauren,

If you do the search for hydrochloric acid, all the posts and threads come up - there are quite a lot.

Best wishes,
    Kristina

And there's also the alternative search mechanism which is quite helpful:
    http://rosacea-archive.com/

Just plug HCL in the search box and voila...
    results from all the rosacea help groups (RF, rosacea support forum and rosacea yahoo group)

Thanks, guys!

Default Rosacea and digestion

Quote Originally Posted by Lauren 007 View Post
    I've been hearing a lot about how many Rosaceans share a bad digestion trait or that, by treating low stomach acid or stomach bacteria, they were able to get some relief in their Rosacea symptoms. I've been lactose intolerant since I was seven; does this have any correlation to Rosacea? I've heard of HCL tablets... What are they, exactly?

I would have just done a search for this, but short words like "HCL" won't go through the search mechanism...
    Hi Lauren:
    In my experience digestion has everything to do with my rosacea. My rosacea was in the moderate stage and has gone back to the mild stage since making extensive dietary changes. I was also recently diagnosed as having a casein allergy (dairy) and being B-12 deficient. Today I ran across an article stating that being low on B-12 increases something called homocysteine in your blood which can cause "damage to blood vessels" which is what many rosaceans have. I think you might want to ask your doctor to test your B-12 levels and to see if you have a casein allergy. If you get your B-12 level tested be sure to get the actual numbers and don't just take his/her word that you're in the "normal range." New research is showing that some people experience problems if they are in the lower ranges of normal. I was in the "normal range" but was still very anemic and had tingling all over my body. Other doctors had attributed the tingling to "stress." Yeah, right...that's why it went away now that I'm injecting B-12!

Since you have digestion problems, your rosacea might be related to that, so you might also want to search the threads on "gut transit time" and "SIBO and rosacea" and see what you think.

Regards,
    Queta

Quote Originally Posted by queta View Post
    Hi Lauren:
    In my experience digestion has everything to do with my rosacea. My rosacea was in the moderate stage and has gone back to the mild stage since making extensive dietary changes. I was also recently diagnosed as having a casein allergy (dairy) and being B-12 deficient. Today I ran across an article stating that being low on B-12 increases something called homocysteine in your blood which can cause "damage to blood vessels" which is what many rosaceans have. I think you might want to ask your doctor to test your B-12 levels and to see if you have a casein allergy. If you get your B-12 level tested be sure to get the actual numbers and don't just take his/her word that you're in the "normal range." New research is showing that some people experience problems if they are in the lower ranges of normal. I was in the "normal range" but was still very anemic and had tingling all over my body. Other doctors had attributed the tingling to "stress." Yeah, right...that's why it went away now that I'm injecting B-12!

Since you have digestion problems, your rosacea might be related to that, so you might also want to search the threads on "gut transit time" and "SIBO and rosacea" and see what you think.

Regards,
    Queta
    Thanks, Queta! I've been anemic in the past, so a B12 deficiency might be an option. I have a B12 supplement (it's a dropper that you hold under your tongue), but it has tons of Niacin in it, which aggravates my Rosacea, so I've never taken it. Can I check my B12 levels through a normal blood checkup, or do special tests need to be run? Thanks again!

I've been doing some research on this and am surprised by how many links people have found between SIBO and Rosacea. (NOTE: Sorry if this is "too much information", everyone!) Another problem I've been curious about is constant vaginal discharge, which I've had since I was 12. I found out that this is most likely caused by an overgrowth of Lactobacillus, a "good" bacteria, which is present in the vagina and the gastrointestinal tract. I'm wondering, if it can cause an overgrowth in the vagina, couldn't it cause an overgrowth in the small intestine, thus triggering Small Intestine Bacterial Overgrowth for some people? Thus:

overgrowth of Lactobacillus --> SIBO --> Rosacea?

Of course, SIBO can be caused by various things, so I'm only posing this toward those who, like me, probably have an overgrowth of this bacteria. Anyway, this probably has nothing to do with anything, but I'm just curious. Thanks for hearing me out!

Quote Originally Posted by Lauren 007 View Post
    Another problem I've been curious about is constant vaginal discharge, which I've had since I was 12.
    What makes you think this is abnormal?

This is quite a useful link and this (men may not want to go any further)

Quote Originally Posted by phlika29 View Post
    What makes you think this is abnormal?

This is quite a useful link and this (men may not want to go any further)
    Thanks for the links. I was under the impression that my case is slightly abnormal because it is a constant, 24/7 thing and that I constantly have to wear panty liners at this point, which can be a pain at times. This is probably unrealated; I was just throwing ideas around.

I think that everyone is different, if you have been like this for a few years then I would say that this is normal for you.

I would forget about the panty liners (way too uncomfortable) surely that what you're knickers are for

I do agree with you about the link between stomach issues and rosacea- there does appear to be some connection.