Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Desonide Hydrocortisone 0.05%

Default Desonide Hydrocortisone 0.05%

Hello

I read a thread, which I can't find now, that indicated if you apply a steroid cream and it takes the redness away, mostly likely you must have a form of dermatitis (seb derm. atopic etc...) on your face. If you apply the same hydrocortisone and it does nothing, most likely you have rosacea? Is this true?

My face has been red and flakey for a little while now and I've been applying zinc on it, seems to help, but by the end of the day my face is red and itchy still. I had it last night and put some hydrocortisone, today it is so much better, very little redness left.

Thanks!

Default Steroids and redness

Vienna,

Steroids are good at supressing inflammation which is what causes the skin to become red and scale, therefore it doesn't really matter if its Rosacea or Seb Derm or Eczema the impact initally is the same.

It used ot be common for derms to initially prescribe a weak hydrocortisone for Rosacea to get redness and inflammation under control but given the success many have with metro topicals this has become far less common because of the concern about long term use.

This is the same stuff one of the many derms I saw 10yrs ago gave me....it made my rosacea go from a 5 to a 10 in about 1mo of use....I would recommend that you throw it in the trash....NOW....this way you aren't even tempted to put it on....YES it really is that bad for rosacea and it WILL make it much worse. And just to answer your question...it made my face pale after I put it on and the redness came back worse after every use and the P&P's covered my face...what a nightmare...I wish I could go back in a time capsule and stop myself from ever using it!
    Dx 1998

Quote Originally Posted by Lookout View Post
    This is the same stuff one of the many derms I saw 10yrs ago gave me....it made my rosacea go from a 5 to a 10 in about 1mo of use....I would recommend that you throw it in the trash....NOW....this way you aren't even tempted to put it on....YES it really is that bad for rosacea and it WILL make it much worse. And just to answer your question...it made my face pale after I put it on and the redness came back worse after every use and the P&P's covered my face...what a nightmare...I wish I could go back in a time capsule and stop myself from ever using it!
    Oh dear
    I confused the desonide with hydrocortisone, I thought it was hydrocortisone but stronger. Appartently it's just a another steroid cream and yes, it's stronger. Thanks for the warning. I have reduced the amount I used. I just dabbed my face, instead of the usual slather that I do. I'm going back to the hydrocortisone 1% if I get desperate again.

Default desonide vs hydrocortisone

Yes, just for reference .05% desonide cream is about 50 times stronger than 1% hydrocortisone lotion.

Steroids in general should be avoided if possible, but some of us who have other dermatitis issues like seb derm can only keep our skin calm with it. I use hydrocortisone lotion regularly to keep my seb derm is check, it works but looking for an alternative constantly as its not a permanent solution.

Quote Originally Posted by J-Mill View Post
    Yes, just for reference .05% desonide cream is about 50 times stronger than 1% hydrocortisone lotion.

Steroids in general should be avoided if possible, but some of us who have other dermatitis issues like seb derm can only keep our skin calm with it. I use hydrocortisone lotion regularly to keep my seb derm is check, it works but looking for an alternative constantly as its not a permanent solution.
    Thank goodness for this site and all the education everyone provides, thank you !
    My derm, who I'm not very happy with, told me that it was no problem to use it daily and for extended periods of time, ouch. I believe I have seb derm on my face and yes, daily use of hydrocortisone seems to keep it at bay.

I would not rely on hydrocortisone either as some people have had trouble with even this.

Default steroids not the solution, sometimes a band-aid

Yeah I agree with Philka. I personally use hydrocortisone lotion regularly as it is the only thing that keeps my skin from itching like crazy (I have tried many other methods), however I am constantly looking for new ways to not have to use it anymore. I don't think it can be used forever as over years I think it would cause thinning of facial skin (my research however found aside from eyelids there is little evidence to support this occurring quickly, some people with severe atopic dermatitis have used it daily of facial skin for 10+ years without noticeable thinning of skin). I also just don't like the idea of using it to be quite honest.

As for desonide, research does show it to have a very good safety profile, but why use anything more powerful then you need to?

I would try to find another way of managing your condition, hopefully you have better luck than I have.

interesting

With two dermatologists debating, one thinking it's rosacea, the other seb derm, I'm worried about the continued use of steroids. I'm constantly experimenting trying to find an alternative.

On another note, I saw a thread that suggested drinking lemon water. You have to squeeze the juice out of a real lemon, not bottled, and then I put it in luke warm water. I have been doing this for two days now and my skin seems much calmer. I know many different things work for different people and this could just be coincidental, but it seems much better and 90% less itchy. I've even been to the gym and still no major break out! I'll keep on this, hoping I've found something that could be long term, hopefully I won't be disappointed.

Vienna