Thread: Oxytetracycline Tablets

Default Oxytetracycline Tablets

So I've been taking them for about two years now.

Took one a day,

Last three months tried weening myself off them.

First one every two days, then one every three days.

My Rosacea seems to have got worse lately, more flushing, permanent red areas, red spots.

Can someone please accurately describe what exactly Oxytetracycline tablets will help with and what it won't.

This will help deciding whether I need to up the dose again.

Thank you

Oxytetracycline is primarily for treating the papulopustular component of rosacea. As for redness, flushing , telangiectasia, don't expect too much from them. I took two a day for eight months and they had no effect whatsover on my subtype1 rosacea.

I took oxytetracycline when I was first diagnosed with papulopustular rosacea, and they were a life-saver, really cutting the p&p's down to a bare minimum.

My neighbour has just finished 2 months on oxytetracycline. It has got rid of her p&ps but also all the redness on her forehead (she was very red indeed before). Oddly enough it hasn't done anything for the redness on her cheeks and chin. People seem to react so differently to antibiotics, as with anything else.

Kristina

Hi, I have been taking 500mg (twice a day) of oxytetracycline for just over a month now and noticed a difference. I had quite a nasty bump at the side of my nose which the dose has seemed to have taken down somewhat although not completely. It also seems to have stopped the flushing to a degree. The odd thing is i still have that strange flushing feeling on the top of my head (weird eh ?) Im not sure how this drug works but on first taking it i got very flaky skin around and on my nose and cheeks. Over a few weeks it got less and less flaky. Now i am suffering with open and oily pores (especially my nose) The bump has gone down slightly though. Hope this helps

Flushyboy - you mention flakiness. Does the skin feel dry, also, or not? I know you say its oily - its just I wondered since I suffer from flaky/dry and oily skin, and wonder whether its to do with my long term antibiotics.

Hi doggie ! Yep feels dry but appears oily. When i went to the doctors he refused to give me anything cream/lotion or potion wise to put on my face. He was convinced that the antibiotics would do the trick on there own so i just took his advice and started my course. I have made the decision though to change from normal imperial leather soap to SIMPLES moisturising foaming facial wash containing Vitamin B5 and Vitamin E - 100% soap free with no perfume and no colour on a trial basis to see how i get on. At the moment the UK is having a bit of a mini heat wave and as i work outside its difficult for me to tell if my tingling and redness is from my Rosacea or sunlight. My condition has only recently got to a stage where it has started to bother me to the point of wanting to investigate what may be wrong. Now i have established what it is the next stages are gonna be a little experimental.
    Last edited by flushyboy; 13th May 2008 at 03:48 PM.