Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Remission of rosacea by reduction of gut transit time

Default Remission of rosacea by reduction of gut transit time

Hey everybody, I thought this article from may 2004 was very interesting. To access the full article you have to purchase it from www.blackwell-synergy.com. The thing i would like to know is what substance was used to reduce the gut transit time. I guess we'll have to read the entire article to find this out. The most interesting thing in my mind and in my opinion is that rosacea is really something that has to be treated from WITHIN. I don't think a topical will ever cure us. There's something wrong inside of us. I strongly believe this. And it may very well have to do with our digestive system and if not, I think it def plays a major role. What we eat, how we eat, and how our digestive system works. I copied and pasted the abstract below. Tell me what you think. -Chris

Rosacea is a chronic disorder characterized by hypersensitivity of the facial vasculature, presenting with intense flushing eventually leading to chronic erythema and telangiectasia. Although the precise aetiology of rosacea is not known, numerous associations with inflammatory gastrointestinal tract disorders have been reported. Furthermore, substance P-immunoreactive neurones occur in considerably greater numbers in tissue surrounding affected blood vessels suggesting involvement of neurogenic inflammation and moreover plasma kallikrein–kinin activation is consistently found in patients. In this report, a patient without digestive tract disease is described, who experienced complete remission of rosacea symptoms following ingestion of a material intended to sweep through the digestive tract and reduce transit time below 30 h. It is possible that intestinal bacteria are capable of plasma kallikrein–kinin activation and that flushing symptoms and the development of other characteristic features of rosacea result from frequent episodes of neurogenic inflammation caused by bradykinin-induced hypersensitization of facial afferent neurones. The possible relevance of this hypothesis to other conditions featuring afferent hypersensitivity, such as fibromyalgia, is considered.

*Experimental dermatology • Concise report
    Remission of rosacea induced by reduction of gut transit time

* S. N. Kendall
    Mathematics Institute, University of Warwick, Coventry, UK

S. N. Kendall, Mathematics Institute, University of Warwick, Gibbet Hill Road, Coventry CV4 7AL, UK.
    E-mail: skendall@boltblue.net
    Summary

Great article. I posted this in General rosacea questions. You should read my thread on SIBO and rosacea.

http://forum.rosaceagroup.org/viewtopic.php?t=12610

This is interesting. Any idea was taken to put this person into remission?
    "Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"

Quote Originally Posted by cashisclay
    This is interesting. Any idea was taken to put this person into remission?
    If I recall correctly they were given massive amounts of wheat bran. Their rosacea went into complete remission but then returned much worse.

I really believe that rosacea is tied to SIBO (see my threat for more information). I would recommend that all of you get a lactulose breath test to see if you test positive for it. I've got a doctor's appointment coming up, and plan to find out for myself if I have it or not. Rosacea seems to coexist with IBS and other gut-related problems.

Do you think IBS drugs could help??
    dx early 2006.
    current stategy;
    finacea, lightstim (red light therapy), 10 x IPL and 7 x low level PDL (n-light)

bromelain inhibite the kallikrei system

heres a link that explains the different ways to test.
    http://digestive.niddk.nih.gov/ddise...seintolerance/

I guess they make you drink something after fasting that's loaded with lactose and then they either check your blood or the breath way for raised levels of hydrogen. Never had heard of this testing before....I would be afraid to do this test to be honest as that much lactose all at once might bring on a flare or flushing!! Could be wrong on that :?
    Dx 1998

Default reducing gut transition time

Hi Yankees
    I know that you have the same kind of rosacea that I do (phymatous) and I wanted to let you know that I have been taking HCL capsules for the past month and it has really, really helped me. My forehead, chin, cheeks, and nose are totally going down. I looked in the mirror the other day (something I used to hate doing) and smiled and I noticed that my cheeks were much less puffy and you can start seeing my cheekbones again! I wonder if HCL helps reduce the gut transit time. You might want to do an experiment and try it. Check out Lindsay's posts on "how I cured my rosacea" and the SIBO thread as someone else suggested. You might also want to try enteric-coated peppermint if you suspect SIBO. It's all coming together for me now...my rosacea went into complete remission twice in my life when I had totally cut carbs for several weeks (thus starving out the bacteria in the gut). I'm guessing that I had low stomach acid first which led to SIBO and then to rosacea. I also have been diagnosed as low B-12 and have to give myself injections although I always ate a lot of meat. One more thing, though, not all HCL are created equally. I ran out of my HCL capsules from Natural Factors and was using HCL tablets from my local store instead. The rosacea worsened, and I did not change anything else in my diet. I guess this is why Brady's diet works for a lot of us...we starve out the bacteria in the small intestine and so our rosacea improves. I'm seriously psyched about this. I still take a very low dose of accutane twice weekly to normalize my sebacious glands but the added HCL is reversing the overall facial swelling that I didn't even realize I had until I saw my cheekbones again. (I thought I used to have nice cheekbones, but it was so long ago (25 years) I decided I must have remembered incorrectly). In fact, now that I know I might be able to control my rosacea very well I am thinking about how I can start being my old, outgoing self again and join some new groups, etc.
    Regards and hope all is well with you
    Queta

Hey Queta, that's really funny because I started taken an HCL supplement 2 days ago. I bought Source Naturals Betaine HCl, 650 mg. I'm not sure how much I should use or how exactly to take it, but today I decided I'm going to take 1 tablet right before my 3 meals. I also bought Natrol BioBeads Probiotic Acidophilus Complex and started eating Fiber One cereal and Fiber one bars. For the past 6 or 7 months, I have had major problems with constipation and some of my cystic acne started coming back in addition to my rosacea. Then, in the beginning of January I had major problems with my stomach after having a a lot of nuts on New Year's Eve. My stomach started having spasms with severe pain and I was put on Bellatal to stop it. I was going to go see a gastro, but after starting to take fiber and the probiotics, my constipation was better. I haven't had severe flushes yet since only being on HCL for two days or new cysts, so I'm hoping this will continue to improve my rosacea. I read that bacteria builds up in your body when you have low stomach acid and maybe that's what has contributed to my acne, rosacea, and digestive issues. I hope this is the answer. How often do you take your tablets and when exactly? Right before you eat? I hope it's safe to be on this type of thing. Thanks for the info. Let me know how you progress. I'm glad everything is much better for you. -Chris

Default HCL

Hi Yankees:
    As far as it being safe, I am obviously not qualified to comment. I will say that my naturopathic minded MD is aware I am doing it and thought it was okay. He did suggest that I check the acidity of my first morning urine daily to make sure I wasn't becoming too acidic. So far I haven't been overly acidic at all and my digestion has improved a lot. I based my dosage on Lindsay's "how I cured my rosacea" thread which suggested taking 2 500 mg before meals and 1 500 mg before a snack (take at least 10 minutes before eating). Since I have been taking them, I try to eat less often so I usually take a max of 6 per day (two full meals and two snacks). What seems key is that they are in a capsule, not a tablet. According to Lindsay and others who commented you know when you've had too much when you feel burning in your stomach (something I have never had a problem with). It also seems like I have to take one and then wait at least 10 minutes before eating. I've noticed that when I don't wait some of my old digestive symptoms return (food going through undigested). It also appears that I really need the two capsule dose and if I have a large snack and have only taken one I have problems. I am also considering taking peppermint but I want to try one thing at a time or I won't know what's helping me (I've made that mistake many times before). I really hope this works for you! I can say that for my case I'm definitely very encouraged and am considering asking my derm for the antibiotics used to treat SIBO but want to wait and do more research on it first.
    Queta