Thread: 300 mg daily of doxycycline -- too much?

Default 300 mg daily of doxycycline -- too much?

Hi. My dermatologist has put me on doxycycline to combat my awful case of steroid rosacea. She has me taking 150 mg twice/day, which I figured was standard until I started googling it online. It appears that most take 100 - 2-- mg/day rather than 300 mg/day. In fact, I cannot find any info about taking more than 200 mg/day. So, now I am wondering the reason that my doc has me taking so much, and if it is safe.

The only thing that I can think of is that my face looked so bad when she saw me (I had just gone cold turkey from using a steroid cream on my face, and I had used that cream for over a year, although only in small spots).

I already have a rare systemic disease, which prevents me from taking most antibiotics ( go into anaphylaxis from them). So, I would hate to ruin my chances of taking this family of meds later on if I ever needed them because I had built up a resistance by taking so much now for my face.

Anyone have any thoughts on this, or if you think it odd that I am supposed to take 300 mg/day?

Thanks!

Hi,

I think it's too much. It makes sense somehow that a higher dose would work faster so maybe that's why your doc put you on such a high dose. I wouldn't take that much though. In my opinion 100 mg a day is sufficient. Actually, there are studies that prove Oracea (40 mg doxy) is as effective in treating rosacea as is 100 mg of doxy. I think the difference in high doses versus low doses is the onset of efficacy. I'm not an expert though...

Good luck and all the best.
    Angela

Studies suggest that low dose is exactly as effective as high doses. You might want to print off the recent study and show to your doctor.

http://phx.corporate-ir.net/phoenix....376&highlight=
    Subtype-1: Cheek and ear flushing
    Currently: IPL

Is your derm prescribing that amount for a short period or is this an extended course? Most docs need to learn the "less is more" rule when it comes to antibiotics.

Thanks for responding everyone. My prescription bottle shows enough pills for 30 days, although it does allow 1 refill and my appointment is in 6 weeks. So, I guess that means I take it for about 6 weeks. I just got off the phone with my regular doc (also a good friend of mine). I asked her about the dose. She had seen my face the same day that she sent me to the dermatologist. She said that she suspects that since my face looked so bad, that the derm thinks this is what is needed to get it under control. Hmmm....I am sure that my ER doc brother-in-law would be horrified about this much medicine, as ER docs don't want you building up resistence to antibiotics.

What a mess, huh? I can't imagine the derm taking it well if I tell her that I think the dose is too high.

Quote Originally Posted by lilyian
    Thanks for responding everyone. My prescription bottle shows enough pills for 30 days, although it does allow 1 refill and my appointment is in 6 weeks. So, I guess that means I take it for about 6 weeks. I just got off the phone with my regular doc (also a good friend of mine). I asked her about the dose. She had seen my face the same day that she sent me to the dermatologist. She said that she suspects that since my face looked so bad, that the derm thinks this is what is needed to get it under control. Hmmm....I am sure that my ER doc brother-in-law would be horrified about this much medicine, as ER docs don't want you building up resistence to antibiotics.

What a mess, huh? I can't imagine the derm taking it well if I tell her that I think the dose is too high.
    Why don't you just call and tell her it seems to be working, but you'd like to know if it would be okay to drop the dosage and see if it continues to work. I can't imagine she'd be offended by that. I've said far more to my doc to make HER sound like the patient and ME the doctor! I just make sure I thank her for her time after I finish playing the role of doctor!

~J

Periostat and/or Oracea have been on the market for 10 years. They have been used for rosacea for 10 years.

If your doctor is surprised that you want to try a lower dose like that, then I would not be very impressed with their level of knowledge.
    Subtype-1: Cheek and ear flushing
    Currently: IPL