Thread: antifungal cream for rosacea?

Default antifungal cream for rosacea?

Hi all,

Does anyone know whether antifungal creams are beneficiary in rosacea? I just came across this website on rosacea: http://www.enlmedical.com/article/000879.htm

It says:
    The treatment of skin eruptions may also include long-term treatment with topical (applied to a localized area of the skin) antifungals (such as metronidazole), steroids, or antibiotics.
    First of all, I didn't know metronidazole is an antifungal. Second, I'm not sure of how serious to take this website since they claim that steroids could be used as a long-term treatment.
    On the other hand, a few years ago I started applying miconazole (antifungal cream) on my face out of pure desperation and it seemed to work! At that time I din't know I had rosacea yet and just thought it was acne - and antifungals are said to work for acne. I'm now doing a test: I started using this miconazole cream again to see if it has any effect. So far, it doesn't cause any irritation. I'll keep you posted.

Angela

Angela,

I did use antifungal creme on my face for some time becuase I also have seb derm on face and scalp. It did help a bit. But I really think this was due to reducing the seb derm and therefore taking away the irritation that it has caused on my rosacea skin. I also found out that using an antifungal shampoo just on my scalp instead of using a antifungal cream on my face is helping me better. It seems to keep away the seb derm from my face.

Hope that helps,
    Barbara

Default Re: antifungal cream for rosacea?

Quote Originally Posted by Angela1979
    Hi all,

Does anyone know whether antifungal creams are beneficiary in rosacea? I just came across this website on rosacea: http://www.enlmedical.com/article/000879.htm

It says:
    The treatment of skin eruptions may also include long-term treatment with topical (applied to a localized area of the skin) antifungals (such as metronidazole), steroids, or antibiotics.
    First of all, I didn't know metronidazole is an antifungal. Second, I'm not sure of how serious to take this website since they claim that steroids could be used as a long-term treatment.
    On the other hand, a few years ago I started applying miconazole (antifungal cream) on my face out of pure desperation and it seemed to work! At that time I din't know I had rosacea yet and just thought it was acne - and antifungals are said to work for acne. I'm now doing a test: I started using this miconazole cream again to see if it has any effect. So far, it doesn't cause any irritation. I'll keep you posted.

Angela
    Angela,

Metronidazole is an antiprotozoal and antibacterial agent used to treat redness and inflammation and is also a prodrug which is a pharmacological substance (drug) administered in an inactive (or significantly less active) form. Once administered, the prodrug is metabolised in vivo into an active metabolite.

Protozoa (in Greek proto = first and zoa = animals) are one-celled eukaryotes.

A fungus is any eukaryotic organism that is a member of the kingdom Fungi

for more info:

Metronidazole
    Prodrug
    Protozoa
    Fungus
    Bacteria
    Metabolite

Some rosaceans have reported success in using metronidazole for rosacea while others say it didn't work at all. The X-Factor comes into play which is simply what works for one rosacean may not work for another rosacean. What is the X-Factor? That's the question.
    Brady Barrows
    Join the RRDi

Wow. So Brady, does this mean that an antifungal like miconazole COULD work for rosacea?

Default antifungals

Wow. So Brady, does this mean that an antifungal like miconazole COULD work for rosacea?
    I have never heard of miconazole. Wikipedia says "Miconazole is mainly used externally for the treatment of Athlete's foot, Ringworm and Jock Itch. Internal application is used for oral or vaginal thrush (yeast infection)."

There is one research paper that I know about that links candida albicans (a fungus) with rosacea (at least in one case) and says, a “patient was treated with intermittent pulses of itraconazole for the candidasis and doxycycline initially before being substituted with isotretinoin 6 months later for the rosacea.” and the outcome was that “the patient’s candidiasis responded well and has been in remission for 3 months while his rosacea continues to improve.”

You may read the complete abstract of the above quote.
    Brady Barrows
    Join the RRDi

Angela

Perhaps it could be working on any seb derm that you may have. By successfully treating one thing you can often help reduce the symptoms of the other.

I have not had any success with antifungul creams although my skin does like metrogel

Thanks guys.
    On a dutch website on medicines it says (my own translation):

"Miconazole is an antifungal. Doctors prescribe it for yeast infections of the skin, athlete's foot and acne. Miconazole works against the acnebacteria, which diminishes the papules and pustules."

So far, I don't see any progress concerning the papules. The redness has gone though, but this may be due to the betaine HCl I'm taking. I'll keep you posted.

Angela[/quote]

Default Re: antifungal cream for rosacea?

Hi all,

It says:

Angela
    I actually believe yes from experience. I use lamisil from time to time and it does help