Thread: How to protect our skin from cold weather?

Default How to protect our skin from cold weather?

Hi!

I've never posted on this forum, but I have used it frequently as a great source of information for the past couple of years and would like to thank everyone who contributes - all the information has been really helpful and encouraging.

The reason I'm posting is because I have mild rosacea (in the form of blushing in stressful situations). And I'm finding that the cold weather is beginning to upset my skin. I usually spend a lot of time with famly and friends walking in the open countryside (and horse riding) and I'm a little concerned that over time the very extreme weather could make my generally mild rosacea much worse.

So I thought I'd ask on this forum whether there are any ways we can protect our skin from the extreme cold? I tried wrapping a scarf around my face but I figured I'd freak people out because it ends up looking like I'm wearing a baraclava. Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks so much for your help! And thanks to you all for the help you've given me over the last couple of years!

The cold can be devilish problem.

Oddly, you may find a physical sunscreen ( usually containing zinc oxide or titanium dioxide) helpful - up to a point - as it provides something of a barrier between the elements and your skin.

The transistion from cold outside to warm inside can be troublesome. Linger for a while in your porch or conservatory : coming straight in and sitting in front of the log fire will cause problems.

In the past - though bear in mind my skin and body work in a quirky fashion - I have had fewer problems in the cold ( and the subsequent transition) if I physically tire myself out (running, hiking, shifting wood and whatnot). To this end I sugest you carry the horse from time to time.

Good luck.

Hi GJ!

Thanks for the advice! Yeah, I find switching from extreme temperatures impacts on my skin.

Thanks for the creative advice on using sunscreen - I'll give that a go when I'm out next.

Thanks again for the advice - and for making me laugh :-)

Buy one of those coats with the fur outlining the hood. When it starts to get too cold or windy, use that hood. It really blocks the wind and the cold!

Protecting yourself from direct wind is important, but you definitely need to use extra deep moisturizer as the cold wind is dry and can sap the moisture from your skin in an instant.

It really depends how cold it is where you are. I once worked in a sawmill with an open garage where it could get down to negative temperatures and I remember coming home with cheeks as red as a lobster. The very best solution I had in that extreme situation was to just wear a face mask.

Stay warm!

Hi Fut!

Thanks for the advice! When I'm shopping next I'll take a look at the coats and see if it works (though I think I'll use synthetic fur :-) )

Thanks again for the advice!

Hi deberti!

Thanks for your help!

Yeah, I have a pretty good moisturizer. The temperatures I'm out in have been okay during the summer months but now winter's setting in, they're getting down to zero (and sometimes we're out in the early mornings walking the dogs which can be even colder).
    I have a lot of sympathy for you working in such cold conditions! Can I ask you what kind of face mask you wore? Was it a case where it didn't look unusual for you to be wearing one (since you were spending a long time in cold temperatures) or did you find a face mask that didn't look odd? I looked at ski masks and balaclavas but it seems like I'll freak people out hill walking with a friend with my whole face covered? Any advice?

Thanks a lot for your help! :-)

it pretty tough. I spent all summer wishing for winter so I could escape the heat. Now winter is here I wish it was summer again as my skin is 10x worse!