Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does aspirin help or hurt?

purpletomorrow

Default Does aspirin help or hurt?

I've done a pretty good job of figuring out my triggers and avoiding them, like garlic, citrus, heat, curries, chili powder, that sort of thing.

One thing I can't figure out is aspirin. Anybody here have any notions as to whether it helps or hurts?

Sometimes it seems like I wake up with a face full of P&P the day after taking a few aspirin, but it's hard to tell if it's coincidence or causative.

Anybody have any experience with this? I'd really appreciate hearing from others on this.

Thanks!

There has been actually information about the possible help of aspirin to treat rosacea. This is information that was posted from irishgenes:

irishgenes wrote:
    "Journal of Drugs in Dermatology, May-June, 2004 by Joseph B. Bikowski, Mitchel P. Goldman

Another possible new oral therapy for the management of rosacea is prophylactic use of baby aspirin. Migraine headaches are reported 2 to 3 times more frequently in rosacea patients, perhaps due to the vascular instability associated with both conditions. Some neurologists recommend use of baby aspirin (81 mg enteric coated) as prophylaxis against migraine headaches. In Dr. Bikowski's personal experience over a 2-year period among approximately 100 patients who took 1 baby aspirin nightly, the majority reported a subjectively significant decrease in flushing and subsequent erythema after 1 to 3 months of treatment. However, to date there have been no controlled trials validating use of aspirin in rosacea."
    Because flushing is my biggest problem I gave it a try. I took one babyaspirin once in the evening for 4 weeks. Unfortunately it didnít change my flushing at all. At least I didnít had any nasty side effects from the tablets.

If I have to take medication against pain I take some with the working agent "Ibuprofen". Never had any bad reaction regarding my rosaca.

Hope that helps,
    Barbara

purpletomorrow

I've heard of the use of baby aspirin to lessen flushing, and wondered if it helped. There is conflicting information out there-- on this website,
    http://www.joiedevie.com/common_rosa...gers_lists.htm
    It lists aspirin as CAUSING flushing.

Which is why I was curious as to what experiences the Forum members have had.

I appreciate the input!

I've been taking an 81mg. aspirin daily for about 5-6 years, per my cardioligist. -- I noticed no change.

I read somewhere that aspirin may cause flushing for people who are sensitive to salicylates (unfortunately I can not find a link now). Aspirin blocks the effect of niacin that causes flushing and therefore might be helping in controlling niacin-induced flushes.

I find that when I use asprin I often get a bloodshot eye... could be somthing to do with thinning the blood?

It scares me a bit that this can happen so now I steer well clear of it.
    dx early 2006.
    current stategy;
    finacea, lightstim (red light therapy), 10 x IPL and 7 x low level PDL (n-light)

Hi Moomy,

If you get subconjunctival hemes with aspirin you should not take them.
    Aspirin makes you more prone to bleeding and in susceptible individuals can cause problems. Most people don't have an issue with a baby aspirin a day but I would consult with your doc in the future about your propensity to subconjunctival hemes when taking aspirin.

Best wishes,
    Melissa

Hi,

Today I'll start taking a baby aspirin each night to -hopefully- reduce flushing. I've succesfully been taking ibuprofen incidentally to reduce a flush so I figured aspirin would do the same for me since it's also an NSAID. I hope that it will prevent flushes when I take a baby aspirin daily.
    I'll keep you posted about this.

Angela

Hi Angela,

That's interesting. Did you experience reduced flushing with ibuprofen?
    I heard of baby aspirin helping some people but I don't remember hearing about ibuprofen.

Best wishes,
    Melissa

Hi Melissa,

Yes, I took ibuprofen when I had a flush and it reduced the flush within an hour. I also took it when I knew I had to face one of my worst triggers (emotional stress - caused by my weekly appointment with my psychologist ) It's not so surprising actually, since it's an anti-inflammatory pain killer. That's why I decided to try it when flushing. I also took it before I went to the sauna which significantly reduced flushing. But taking ibuprofen daily doesn't seem right to me because it is quite strong. So that's why I decided to switch to aspirin.

Angela