Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: List of inflammatory and non-inflammatory foods

Default List of inflammatory and non-inflammatory foods

The role of inflammation has been discussed several times on these boards. Personally, i only recently began to learn about the role of inflammation in most diseases, and probably in Rosacea as well. There are lots of interesting books out there (Fantastic Voyage, The Inflammation Free Diet Plan, stuff by Barry Sears or Andrew Weil....) on the subject. Ever since i joined these boards, i have been 'caught' between wanting to eat Alkaline and wanting to eat low carbs. I think the anti-inflammation diet is somehwere in between and suits my needs better.
    If anyone is interested, here is a fairly comprehensive list (i came up with the 6 levels so someone could disagree whether a food should really be under moderate versus high....also, ratings can change if a food is cooked versus raw, skin no skin....) based on the IF rating invented by Monica Reinagel and available for every food at Nutritiondata.com:

Highly Anti-Inflammatory
    Wild Salmon, wild seabass, trout, pollock
    Turmeric, Garlic, Onions
    Cabbage, Kale, Endives, Spinach. Sweet Potato
    Flaxseeds, Flaxseed oil, Olive oil

Moderatly Anti-Inflammatory
    Wild Tuna, Cod, Halibut, Haddock, Grouper, Tilapia
    Avocadoes, Broccoli, Ginger, Leeks. Turnip, Chard, Bell Peppers
    Almonds, Peanuts
    Corn, Canola oil

Low Anti-Inflammatory
    Shrimp & Shellfish
    Venison, Pork Tenderloin, Beef Tenderloin
    Lemon, Lime, Oranges, Pineapple, Papaya, Strawberries, Kiwis, Apricots, Tomatoes
    Zucchini, Cauliflower, Fennel, Brussels Sprout, Celery, Cucumber, Carrots, Lettuce, Pumpkin, Asparagus, Seaweed, Basil, Rosemary,
    Low fat mozeralla
    Cashews
    Herbal teas, Apple cider vinegar

Low Inflammatory
    Turkey breast, Chicken breast, Lamb tenderloin
    Plums, Apples, Berries (except Strawberries), Melon, Watermelon, Mango, Pears, Peaches, Grapes
    Potatoes with skin, Parsnip, Beans, lentils, Eggplant
    Sunflower seeds, Chestnut, Sesame seeds, Tahini
    Oat
    Tofu

Moderatly Inflammatory
    Most farmed fish
    Bananas
    Beet
    Eggs, most cheese and milk
    White, brown, wild rice, millet
    Pine nuts, Walnuts

Highly Inflammatory
    Farmed salmon
    Meat with skin or not from tender cuts
    Liver
    Potatoes without skin, Yam
    Miso
    Processed and canned meats and foods
    Dried fruits, dates, coconut,
    Wheat, rye, barley, corn, amaranth, buckwheat, quinoa
    Sugar
    Fruit juices
    Alcohol
    Coconut oil

Hi Eric,

Thanks for sharing the info with us.

Surprisingly, I have always eaten a lot of the highly and moderately antiinflammatory foods. Go figure. I suppose I could be a lot worse if I didn't. I think many rosaceans (diet and lifestyle wise) are among the healthiest people around ironically.

Best wishes,
    Melissa

Default Re: List of inflammatory and non-inflammatory foods

Quote Originally Posted by Eric
    The role of inflammation has been discussed several times on these boards. Personally, i only recently began to learn about the role of inflammation in most diseases, and probably in Rosacea as well. There are lots of interesting books out there (Fantastic Voyage, The Inflammation Free Diet Plan, stuff by Barry Sears or Andrew Weil....) on the subject. Ever since i joined these boards, i have been 'caught' between wanting to eat Alkaline and wanting to eat low carbs. I think the anti-inflammation diet is somehwere in between and suits my needs better.
    If anyone is interested, here is a fairly comprehensive list (i came up with the 6 levels so someone could disagree whether a food should really be under moderate versus high....also, ratings can change if a food is cooked versus raw, skin no skin....) based on the IF rating invented by Monica Reinagel and available for every food at Nutritiondata.com:

Highly Anti-Inflammatory
    Wild Salmon, wild seabass, trout, pollock
    Turmeric, Garlic, Onions
    Cabbage, Kale, Endives, Spinach. Sweet Potato
    Flaxseeds, Flaxseed oil, Olive oil

Moderatly Anti-Inflammatory
    Wild Tuna, Cod, Halibut, Haddock, Grouper, Tilapia
    Avocadoes, Broccoli, Ginger, Leeks. Turnip, Chard, Bell Peppers
    Almonds, Peanuts
    Corn, Canola oil

Low Anti-Inflammatory
    Shrimp & Shellfish
    Venison, Pork Tenderloin, Beef Tenderloin
    Lemon, Lime, Oranges, Pineapple, Papaya, Strawberries, Kiwis, Apricots, Tomatoes
    Zucchini, Cauliflower, Fennel, Brussels Sprout, Celery, Cucumber, Carrots, Lettuce, Pumpkin, Asparagus, Seaweed, Basil, Rosemary,
    Low fat mozeralla
    Cashews
    Herbal teas, Apple cider vinegar

Low Inflammatory
    Turkey breast, Chicken breast, Lamb tenderloin
    Plums, Apples, Berries (except Strawberries), Melon, Watermelon, Mango, Pears, Peaches, Grapes
    Potatoes with skin, Parsnip, Beans, lentils, Eggplant
    Sunflower seeds, Chestnut, Sesame seeds, Tahini
    Oat
    Tofu

Moderatly Inflammatory
    Most farmed fish
    Bananas
    Beet
    Eggs, most cheese and milk
    White, brown, wild rice, millet
    Pine nuts, Walnuts

Highly Inflammatory
    Farmed salmon
    Meat with skin or not from tender cuts
    Liver
    Potatoes without skin, Yam
    Miso
    Processed and canned meats and foods
    Dried fruits, dates, coconut,
    Wheat, rye, barley, corn, amaranth, buckwheat, quinoa
    Sugar
    Fruit juices
    Alcohol
    Coconut oil
    Coconut oil? Ive heard the complete opposite...

Yes, i was surprised as well about Coconut oil but i guess the reason behind it is that it's all Omega 6, most of which might turn into inflammatory fat, with no Omega 3 at all to balance it...(http://www.nutritiondata.com/facts-C00001-01c208C.html)
    The IF rating provides only one dimension of health (mainly based on how many vitamins and minerals a food contains, how much good fat vs bad fat and how much sugar). It doesn't mean that coconut oil can not be helpful for certain things...
    Still, i think it makes a lot of sense. After all, how many times have we heard that fruit juices are healthy, whereas in fact the amount of sugar one more than cancels out the vitamins absorbed? Fresh vegetable juice is a much better alternative...

I was avoiding onions and garlic thinking it was highly inflammatory.
    Thats good news.Are you confident on that?

I've, on multiple occasions, been lead to believe quite the opposite about many of these things...

It says sweet potato are highly anti-inflammatory and yam highly inflammatory... I thought they were the same thing?

The wild salmon vs farmed salmon is interesting. I suppose the diet of the 'meat' we eat is a factor as well.

The list is helpful, but allergy can override the benefit of anything that is supposed good for you. I'm allergic to 12 items on the highly/moderately anti-inflammatory list. It is something to consider if you react to something that is supposed to be easy on you, once you factor in ALL the variables of what happens to the food before it gets to our plate...

I don't even have the time or energy to get into why most of these are WAY off base. Particularly the berries, apples, walnuts, barley, buckwheat, quinoa, Miso, Chicken breast...just to name a few

And Farm Raised Salmon does not magically become a pro inflammatory food either...it still has EPA and DHA...it's just not go for you for a whole host of other reasons

I mean red flag...this genius put corn and canola oil as Moderately anti-inflammatory

I guess she's only about 30 years behind on lipid biochemistry...

JtotheK

I understand your scepticism with regards inflammation and fod but perhaps before passing judgement you should read the books stated. They would give you more information as to why it is believed that food can cause inflammation in the body, or have a look at this very interesting website:

http://www.nutritiondata.com/help/inflammation

On this website we often to go above and beyond what is generally accepted or tested by science. If we were only to accept what mediciine has to offer with regards to rosacea we would all still be using metrogel/fincacea/antibioitcs and thats about it.

It is important to be openminded to a whole variety of treatments as you never know what will help you. Have you never noticed a difference in your rosacea when you eat certain foods?