Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Too many IPL treatments?

Default Too many IPL treatments?

I just finished up my 6th ipl session about a week and a half ago. Results have been very good; tightness almost completely gone and redness down a lot.

My question is, how many is too many ipl treatments in a row. Should I stop at six and then do a few more 6 months from now if I am not completely happy

Or can I do two more and then stop for now?

I just notice that alot of people stop at around 6 and I don't want to do too many. Do I need to give it a break?

Thanks.

I stopped at 7 because of diminished returns. I was still improving, but not by very much.

Also, after 6-7 treatments the cost really adds up. That, in addition to a slower improvement rate, is probably why most people stop at that point.

If I'd thought I could still make substantial gains, I would have kept going.
    KNOWLEDGE = POWER

Thanks for the reply. I hear you about the money adding up. I will probably do one last treatment. The money is an issue and it has been quite annoying to have a red face for 2 weeks after each time. My face seems to get redder for two weeks or so after I do the IPL and then I see improvement.

Quote Originally Posted by MetsFan
    Thanks for the reply. I hear you about the money adding up. I will probably do one last treatment. The money is an issue and it has been quite annoying to have a red face for 2 weeks after each time. My face seems to get redder for two weeks or so after I do the IPL and then I see improvement.
    You really can't have "too many" IPL treatments. It depends on your spacing between treatments, and your doctor's skill (with settings/aggressiveness), and the machine that's being used.

If it's IPL, and aggressive, 6 weeks may be all right between treatments, and you can just go on and on that way. With true lasers (like YAG or PDL), you may need more downtime between treatments so your skin can fully heal.

Yes--the increased flushing after treatments is a bitch. But, if you spaced 50 treatments out over 10 years--that's most likely not going to do anything to your condition in a negative sense--assuming you have a good doctor. It should, really, keep your condition in check.

It really depends on if you're seeing results and have the cash to pay for these treatments. Multiple IPL/laser treatments to the whatever extent are not going to scar or permanently harm your condition. Might scar your wallet, though.

The main thing is to let your skin rest between treatments, and have a good doctor. That's why we talk about maintenance treatments--I'm guessing I'll never get away from IPL/laser for at least 20 years, though I may only need a treatment twice a year. It just depends on the technology that may come out in the coming years.
    35 year-old male
    Erythmatotelangiectatic rosacea & Ocular
    20 + laser treatments.
    Toleraine Soothing Light Facial Fluid for moisturizer. I don't use a special cleanser. Clonidine daily; klonopin sometimes.
    BEST and CURRENT TREATMENT I use: Low-Level Red Light Therapy LED array.
    Please feel free to PM me with your low-level red light therapy (LLRLT) questions. I'm happy to help if I can.

Default david

if brusing with pld results in total distruction of a vessel., than what happins to a vessel not bruised by pdl or a vessel hit by a yag or ipl. does it just get sligtly hit, causing it to build up a imnune to future treatments. whats your thoughts? ross ny

No, I really don't see how not destroying a vessel via laser would somehow make it more resistant.

If anything, it should make it weaker, and more susceptible to further treatment.

And you don't need purpura to get results. You may have increased flushing and redness for a week or two after a successful treatment. Don't worry about "strengthening" your problem vessels, though. That just doesn't make sense.
    35 year-old male
    20 + laser treatments.
    Toleraine Soothing Light Facial Fluid for moisturizer. I don't use a special cleanser. Clonidine daily; klonopin sometimes.
    Please feel free to PM me with your low-level red light therapy (LLRLT) questions. I'm happy to help if I can.

Default david

david i took this statement from dr crouchs q and a. over time, laser treatment will not help anymore?

I think that what happens is that sometimes the target i.e. the blood vessels are partly tackled by initial treatments and that future treatments have "less to aim at". There can be a process of diminishing return to the point where energy levels would have to be turned up so high (to affect the target) that the risk of burning or blistering is greatly increased and treatment can go no further
    what do you think? ross.

If that's true, then pre-flushing becomes even more important. It would seem that if you have less vasculature to treat, your results should be easier to attain. Unless he was somehow implying these vessels "retreated" into the skin. In that case you'd need a longer wavelength laser like a YAG.

Dunno.
    35 year-old male
    20 + laser treatments.

Default Hi there - clarification requested

Dear Ross/Iowa David/All,
    Someone emailed me and suggested that I clarified - I am away on annual leave at the moment so didn't spot the post.

Firstly - both of you are clearly very well informed and have enquiring minds. I think that I could further clarify what I was attempting to get across in the Q&A.

When I said that sometimes the target i.e. the blood vessels are partly tackled by initial treatments and the future treatments have "less to aim at" what I meant was that some vessels in a network of vessels are coagulated rather than some are partially treated. i.e. a proportion of the vessels are removed by the process not that some are "half cooked". I think that generally you either get the vessel or you dont - a small proportion may coagulate and sure, I can envisage some clot may be removed (within a few hours/days of treatment) and the vessel open up again but I think that this is probably small change and not applicable to the majority of vessels at proper treatment fluences.

I hope that this helps. Personally, once the rosacea is under control using IPL and laser, I would advise a top up treatment only if required (and can be afforded) and then just slightly more frequently than the average time it takes for the rosacea to return to the point where it affects the person socially/physically (e.g. P&Ps)/psychologically. As I said in the Q&A's - fiscal (monetary) damage should always be a consideration for the try to do no harm responsible practitioner.

Kind regards,

Peter

Default dear Dr;

Thank you for clearing that up for us Dr. In the case of my wife, using your protocol(thankfully) with yag ktp combo, we treat, a month or so later we get noticable clearance, it lasts for two or three months, than back to the redness.. should we just keep treating every 3 or 4 months or give the skin a break for a while which will result in going back to square one(very red). thanks ross