Thread: Eye protection, moisturizer and Red Light Therapy

Default Eye protection, moisturizer and Red Light Therapy

Do people think regular sunglasses plus keeping eyes closed is adequate protection during red light therapy?

Also, what's the consensus on leaving stuff on the skin (e.g. baby oil) while using RTL. Does it interfere with the process or cause any problems?

I know the answer to these questions are probably obvious. But, I like to be as certain as possible.

Hi Nullbit,

Sunglasses cut UV mostly so they likely have no benefit with red light. Red light won't hurt your eyes. Keeping them closed is fine. Some folks have posted that they open them because they've read this can be beneficial to the eyeballs. I do that too (with the red only, not with the red+near infrared). When you use the near infrared that's when goggles are a very good idea. Metal goggles are best, but certain green varieties are good too, from what I've been able to determine anyway. This was touched on in this thread: http://forum.rosaceagroup.org/viewto...ghlight=#29541

My eyes are very irritated right now so I have stopped wearing my goggles, but I ensure my eyes are kept closed, and this has helped calm my eyelid irritation down. I keep a hand towel near me so that when time's up I can shield the light.

I apply metrocream before every session. I obviously can't say with certainty but I think that the light may enhance the interaction with the skin. Only a guess.

Twickle Purple

Happiness is a choice.

Hello Nullbit

Sensible questions you have asked and ones people have put to me before.

I can tell you what worked for me and you can then decide yourself what suits you.

I always use eye protection with RLT which is usually the goggles the manufacturers supply with the unit and I would not recommend sunglasses. I normally shut my eyes anyway but I still wear goggles as I want to avoid any risk at all to my eyes.

As I use my lamp first thing in the morning then I just wipe any facial oil etc away before the session. I then wash and shave afterwards. Whether any topical applied to the skin pre-lamp would make any difference to the effect of RLT is debatable but I always preferred to use it with my face devoid of anything that could interfere with the results.

Hope this helps.

Peter

These posts should illuminate things nicely.

Best thing may be to read through some of the RLT/LLT threads and get an idea of what folks do, then decide for yourself. The Yahoo! Suport Group has RLT users too, you could ask there as well.

Best of success to you with this nullbit!

Happiness is a choice.

Default Re: Eye protection, moisturizer and Red Light Therapy

Quote Originally Posted by nullbit
    Do people think regular sunglasses plus keeping eyes closed is adequate protection during red light therapy?

Also, what's the consensus on leaving stuff on the skin (e.g. baby oil) while using RTL. Does it interfere with the process or cause any problems?

I know the answer to these questions are probably obvious. But, I like to be as certain as possible.
    Hi Nullbit

I started off using eye protection but I no longer use it. My array is made up of low level red LEDs though, so if you go for near infrared, I would think eye protection would be a must. I used to have eye irritation but I don't get that anymore, touch wood!

I'm not sure about topicals and light therapy. I put ZZ ointment on at night and then go to bed under my lights. Whether or not you believe in the Demodex Mite theory or not, I believe both the ZZ and red lights are supposed to help with this issue. My face is looking pretty good right now and I believe that the ZZ is helping with the p&p's and the red lights are helping with reduced redness and creating a less sensitive skin overall.

I'll post soon with a full up-date and a photo, with details on what I think is working the best, for what reason and for which symptoms.

Jen

P.S. Do you put baby oil on your face? If you do, how do you find it?

Thanks for all the suggestions.

I managed to get some suitable goggles that were originally for a Demalux.

But, now I have another concern!