Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Red light used to treat skin cancer

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    679

    Default Red light used to treat skin cancer

    The website of the dermalologist i am seeing for laser treatment talks about using red light and ALA cream to treat skin cancers.

    A bit different from using red light for rosacea obviously, but interesting that it says that there are no complications, because believe me the sections on IPL and laser list many possible complications.

    PHOTODYNAMIC THERAPY
    ALA-PDT – PHOTODYNAMIC THERAPY TREATMENT.

    Skin Cancer affects half of the population in Australia at some point in their lifetime. The main cause is exposure to sunlight and the harmful ultraviolet rays that sunlight contains. Such skin conditions caused by the sun’s damaging rays may be treated with a new technique – Photodynamic Therapy (PDT) which uses a pure red light to treat the affected skin.

    PDT is not a complicated procedure and usually requires one treatment. The treatment consists of the application of a special cream (5-ALA) directly to the skin cancer. The creams remains on for 4-6 hours at which time the area is exposed to a pure red light source. After the treatment a special dressing is applied to the area and you are able to go home.

    The treatment is simple and does not harm normal skin. There have been no noted complications during the treatment and no long term side effects. Healing is rapid and the final quality of healing is usually excellent with a good cosmetic result. One treatment is all that is usually necessary but occasionally a second treatment may be required.

  2. #2
    Senior Member banshee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    295

    Default Re: Red light used to treat skin cancer

    Quote Originally Posted by Froggirl
    The website of the dermalologist i am seeing for laser treatment talks about using red light and ALA cream to treat skin cancers.

    A bit different from using red light for rosacea obviously, but interesting that it says that there are no complications, because believe me the sections on IPL and laser list many possible complications.

    PHOTODYNAMIC THERAPY
    ALA-PDT – PHOTODYNAMIC THERAPY TREATMENT.

    Skin Cancer affects half of the population in Australia at some point in their lifetime. The main cause is exposure to sunlight and the harmful ultraviolet rays that sunlight contains. Such skin conditions caused by the sun’s damaging rays may be treated with a new technique – Photodynamic Therapy (PDT) which uses a pure red light to treat the affected skin.

    PDT is not a complicated procedure and usually requires one treatment. The treatment consists of the application of a special cream (5-ALA) directly to the skin cancer. The creams remains on for 4-6 hours at which time the area is exposed to a pure red light source. After the treatment a special dressing is applied to the area and you are able to go home.

    The treatment is simple and does not harm normal skin. There have been no noted complications during the treatment and no long term side effects. Healing is rapid and the final quality of healing is usually excellent with a good cosmetic result. One treatment is all that is usually necessary but occasionally a second treatment may be required.
    Thanks for this frog

    I think an important thing to point out is the way cancer survives-blood flow. Researches know that angiogenisis goes nuts around tumors & that to cut off bf to them starves them Interesting how red light is being used in this way without exacerbating the problem.

  3. #3
    Senior Member IowaDavid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Iowa, U.S.
    Posts
    1,343

    Default Re: Red light used to treat skin cancer

    Quote Originally Posted by banshee
    Quote Originally Posted by Froggirl
    The website of the dermalologist i am seeing for laser treatment talks about using red light and ALA cream to treat skin cancers.

    A bit different from using red light for rosacea obviously, but interesting that it says that there are no complications, because believe me the sections on IPL and laser list many possible complications.

    PHOTODYNAMIC THERAPY
    ALA-PDT – PHOTODYNAMIC THERAPY TREATMENT.

    Skin Cancer affects half of the population in Australia at some point in their lifetime. The main cause is exposure to sunlight and the harmful ultraviolet rays that sunlight contains. Such skin conditions caused by the sun’s damaging rays may be treated with a new technique – Photodynamic Therapy (PDT) which uses a pure red light to treat the affected skin.

    PDT is not a complicated procedure and usually requires one treatment. The treatment consists of the application of a special cream (5-ALA) directly to the skin cancer. The creams remains on for 4-6 hours at which time the area is exposed to a pure red light source. After the treatment a special dressing is applied to the area and you are able to go home.

    The treatment is simple and does not harm normal skin. There have been no noted complications during the treatment and no long term side effects. Healing is rapid and the final quality of healing is usually excellent with a good cosmetic result. One treatment is all that is usually necessary but occasionally a second treatment may be required.
    Thanks for this frog

    I think an important thing to point out is the way cancer survives-blood flow. Researches know that angiogenisis goes nuts around tumors & that to cut off bf to them starves them Interesting how red light is being used in this way without exacerbating the problem.
    I wish we knew where that point is in energy exposure where red light promotes angiogenesis, rather than simply being anti-inflammatory. I mean, the levels with LLLT don't appear to cause angiogenesis at all. You'd think rosaceans would have experienced that particular effect if it were to happen with red light exposure in the ujoules/cm2 level.
    35 year-old male
    Erythmatotelangiectatic rosacea & Ocular
    20 + laser treatments.
    Toleraine Soothing Light Facial Fluid for moisturizer. I don't use a special cleanser. Clonidine daily; klonopin sometimes.
    BEST and CURRENT TREATMENT I use: Low-Level Red Light Therapy LED array.
    Please feel free to PM me with your low-level red light therapy (LLRLT) questions. I'm happy to help if I can.

  4. #4
    Senior Member banshee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    295

    Default Re: Red light used to treat skin cancer

    Quote Originally Posted by IowaDavid
    [

    I wish we knew where that point is in energy exposure where red light promotes angiogenesis, rather than simply being anti-inflammatory. I mean, the levels with LLLT don't appear to cause angiogenesis at all. You'd think rosaceans would have experienced that particular effect if it were to happen with red light exposure in the ujoules/cm2 level.
    hey dave-

    PDT is different than standard red LED therapy because a photo sensitizing chemical makes the photons zero in on cancer cells & kind of obliterates them.

    As far as angiogenesis, red LED signals blood vessel replacement but at a cellular level. Interrupts the domino process further into it if you will vs the laser. It just doesn't pack as much punch like you said but still has the same basic effect over the long term. Controlled healing w/o thermal insult.

    Bottom line is those of us who have been using the red light daily for so many years would have cases going out of control as opposed to steady linear improvement were deleterious. Intermittent YAGS simply wouldn't be enough to clean up the mess.

  5. #5
    Senior Member IowaDavid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Iowa, U.S.
    Posts
    1,343

    Default

    I have no idea why I question the wailing banshee. She sings songs of truth. ;)

    BTW--good to see we were both mentioned on Nase's website. I'm so sorry you were unable to contribute to the RRF because your rosacea was too debilitating, despite--or, perhaps, because of--your use of red LLLT. I'm really hurting myself, too.

    It was a miracle I was able to hit up a concert this weekend out of town and rock-out full force and be just a normal metal freak. Oh well. Maybe we'll find a better way soon and this curse of a disease will stop limiting my life.

    David
    35 year-old male
    Erythmatotelangiectatic rosacea & Ocular
    20 + laser treatments.
    Toleraine Soothing Light Facial Fluid for moisturizer. I don't use a special cleanser. Clonidine daily; klonopin sometimes.
    BEST and CURRENT TREATMENT I use: Low-Level Red Light Therapy LED array.
    Please feel free to PM me with your low-level red light therapy (LLRLT) questions. I'm happy to help if I can.

  6. #6
    Senior Member banshee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    295

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by IowaDavid
    I have no idea why I question the wailing banshee. She sings songs of truth. ;)

    BTW--good to see we were both mentioned on Nase's website. I'm so sorry you were unable to contribute to the RRF because your rosacea was too debilitating, despite--or, perhaps, because of--your use of red LLLT. I'm really hurting myself, too.

    It was a miracle I was able to hit up a concert this weekend out of town and rock-out full force and be just a normal metal freak. Oh well. Maybe we'll find a better way soon and this curse of a disease will stop limiting my life.

    David
    lol I was just elaborating I didn't take anything you said as questioning. Besides just my opinions.

    To be honest at that time when I was asked to join RRF I was having a lot more trouble & didn't think it was good to stress myself out more taking on the position....It's a leap in logic & inappropriate to use my personal condition as proof the red light doesn't work. That's another topic though.

Similar Threads

  1. Does Protopic increase chances of skin cancer?
    By Adamklang in forum Similar and co-existing conditions
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 17th September 2012, 09:26 PM
  2. Is it true Sunscreen can increase risk of skin cancer?
    By Jeremy V in forum Topical and oral products (non-prescription)
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 21st May 2011, 04:07 PM
  3. Treat Rosacea: New Research Sheds Light on Possible Role of Vitamin D
    By mrsmoof in forum News, research articles and current affairs
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 12th November 2010, 08:37 AM
  4. Ounce of prevention: Low-dose oral isotretinoin may fight skin cancer
    By phlika29 in forum News, research articles and current affairs
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 2nd June 2009, 09:59 PM
  5. skin cancer all red led lamp
    By AnSl90 in forum Intense pulsed light and laser
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 18th August 2005, 01:42 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •