Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: GARLIC

Default GARLIC

This is an article that came from Bee Wilder's Candida website. Since I can't use RX topicals I think that I will try this. I just hate the thought of having garlic breath. Has anyone tried this and did it help with seb derm?

Garlic contains a large number of sulphur containing compounds that exhibit very potent broad-spectrum antifungal properties. Among the most studied are allicin, alliin, alliinase and S-allylcysteine. Some studies have found garlic to be just as potent as nystatin (drug) at killing Candida overgrowth. It also enhances the immune system.
    In one study it was found that candida is sensitive to garlic; resistance to the broad spectrum of active principles present is unlikely so that its anti-candida effects may provide an important alternative route to drugs. [Source: Appl Microbiol. 2002;93(3):398-405. Garlic (Allium sativum) as an anti-Candida agent: a comparison of the efficacy of fresh garlic and freeze-dried extracts, Lemar KM, Turner MP, Lloyd D. PMID: 12174037 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
    Some of the most traditional uses of garlic have been for colds, flu and other infections, such as earaches, vaginal yeast infections, and high blood pressure. Modern research has focused on four main areas: heart disease, cancer, infectious disease, and antioxidant effects. The effects of garlic on cardiovascular health have been studied for more than 30 years with good results. (Source: healthyherbs.about.com)
    Garlic is a natural antibiotic, but unlike manufactured antibiotics that kill all bacteria, garlic only destroys the unfriendly bacteria, and at the same time assists the development of the friendly bacteria present in the digestive system. It contains the volatile oil, allium, which converts to allicin when crushed.

Fresh garlic is significantly more potent against Candida albicans than any other form, including tablets, oils and pills. Fresh garlic is also a suitable alternative to drugs for serious systemic yeast infections in patients with severe immune suppression. Adding fresh garlic to food (raw and crushed), or crushing and swallowing raw cloves is a cheap and powerful antifungal treatment.
    Garlic also stimulates the immune system, improves circulation, lowers high blood pressure, kills intestinal parasites, and is a powerful antioxidant and antibiotic, in addition to many other health benefits.
    To obtain the most benefit from garlic buy “certified organic” garlic and crush it with the flat of a broad knife, or put it through a garlic press. Crushing breaks the cell walls releasing garlic’s beneficial properties. Exposed to air, allicin converts to diallydisulphide, which is a powerful bactericide and fungicide (also effective against many viruses). In addition, garlic contains vitamins A, B and C.
    To kill off Candida overgrowth start with 1 average sized raw clove per day to minimize “die-off” symptoms, and gradually increase to 4 or 5 cloves per day, mixed in foods or taken with meals. Another alternative is to drink garlic tea.

All that info maybe true, but I have a juicer and I tried to add garlic.

It tastes like your drinking gasoline.

Now maybe if we had a more creditable source saying eat garlic 5 times a day from the FDA or doctors, then I might consider it again.

Why do we have all these websites that talk about how this diet or that diet, or this supplement or that supplement can do great things for our health and sickness and cure us all?

There are even many health books that claim the same.

So why don't we have any creditable source like the fda or dotors saying they agree?
    28 year old male from the United States in Minnesota. My self treatment of Rosacea is 10 grams vitamin C, 16 glasses of water, and moisturize with Eucerin everyday.

Actually most doctors will agree that garlic is pretty amazing stuff...the problem is most people can't eat as much as it takes to really make a difference. And garlic capsules aren't the same thing as fresh garlic.

I remember working in an authentic italian resturant during my waitress days where the owner, a little old italian woman, ate a whole head of garlic minced up on salad greens everyday for lunch. She and her friend, another old old lady did this religiously. For some reason I don't remeber their breath as being so bad but she was an incredibly feisty and healthy woman for her age!

Personally since then I've eaten about 2 cloves of garlic a day minced onto food (...tried doing a whole head but it was toooo much...). Can't say it's really made any difference in my skin but I never get sick otherwise --- yup no colds even!
    Bactrim (phasing out), Spironolactone 1x/day, Retin-a cream .05% in the p.m., Neutrogena Cleanser for Sensitive Skin, avoid dairy and usual Rosacea triggers.

Claudia,

Do you also have seb derm?

Hi Bonnie

I was on Bee's diet for 8.5 months and it pretty much cleared up my facial eczema and sebderm. I did take garlic (and coconut oil) on a daily basis probably for about 5-6 months of that period (I forget exactly now). It's very powerful - I started off taking too much garlic per day, and it gave me lots of healing responses in the forms of rashes all over my body and also my face - but I gradually realised less was more and when I lessened the dosage, my healing symptoms tailored off and my face showed much improvement i.e. the redness and blemishes lifted from my face. The other things I've done during the time I did Bee's diet, which I believe contributed to my healing, were switching to coconut oil as my moisturiser morning and night (yes it is a bit greasy but you just have to soend longer rubbing it in than other moisturisers, until it absorbs completely into the skin), and using a small facial exfoliating brush - one with very soft, gentle bristles, that sloths off the loose skin cells that turn into the flaky dry skin that we sebderm people get, without irritating the skin.

Hi Moc,

How much garlic did you take and in what form? I just started using garlic two days ago and only swallowed 1 crushed clove each day.

I have been using olive oil as a moisturizer and I really like it. Although I think that I will try the coconut oil since a few here on the board talk about how good it is. Is there anything special I need to know about buying it?

I also have been using vinegar diluted with green tea water as a toner. I am not sure if it is helping me.

Honestly the only thing that helps my seb derm is Desonide. Of coarse we all know that is a no no.

Quote Originally Posted by claudia
    Actually most doctors will agree that garlic is pretty amazing stuff...the problem is most people can't eat as much as it takes to really make a difference. And garlic capsules aren't the same thing as fresh garlic.

I remember working in an authentic italian resturant during my waitress days where the owner, a little old italian woman, ate a whole head of garlic minced up on salad greens everyday for lunch. She and her friend, another old old lady did this religiously. For some reason I don't remeber their breath as being so bad but she was an incredibly feisty and healthy woman for her age!

Personally since then I've eaten about 2 cloves of garlic a day minced onto food (...tried doing a whole head but it was toooo much...). Can't say it's really made any difference in my skin but I never get sick otherwise --- yup no colds even!
    If the ladies also had parsley with their salads that would explain why you didn't notice their garlic breath. Parsley is suppose to help with that.

I had 4 cloves a day for the first 4 months. Then I lowered it to 2 cloves a day for a couple of months. Then I think to one clove a day when felt like it after that until I stopped completely as my skin was consistently clear by that stage.

Definitely try the coconut oil as a moisturiser. You need to buy the most unrefined - virgin if possible. Bee can help you choosing a good brand if you're in the States.

I used to control mine too with steroid creams, which led to a nice dose of steroid rosacea. But seriously, after having ezcema and sebderm since 1992, I've never experienced as much relief as I now get through controlling it with diet/coconut oil.

Well, I have to say that as much as Bee's healing naturally diet challenges many of the standard diet beliefs, one thing that medical doctors agree on is the health benefits of garlic. Ok, I don't have stats or anything but from what I have read, garlic is pretty much main stream.

Robert, I wouldn't want to drink garlic juice from a juicer. I can well and truly understand why it would taste like gasoline! LOL Ther are much more pleasant ways of consuming garlic. If you want FDA approval for eating garlic, perhaps you could consider that it is a food not a medcine but it is a food with medicinal properties.

There are many, many diets out there. Some good, some not so good, depending on what you believe but proof is in the pudding, so to speak. Did you decide to try a diet yourself Robert? I remember you saying you were interested.

Jen
    Currently trying: Apr 06 Bee Wilder's Candida (natural healing) Diet; May 06 Home made red LED array; Aug 06 ZZ ointment.

Quote Originally Posted by Bonnie
    Claudia, Do you also have seb derm?
    Not now but I think I had it when I was in my teens and early 20's. I had red scaliness around my nose and eyebrows that I put cortisone cream on to stop the itching. But when I was in my mid-twenties I started eating 1-2 cloves of garlic a day for general health purposes. Now that I think about it all the red scaliness went away around that time too! Unfortunately the garlic did nothing for my cystic acne and I eventually got rosacea due to using harsh acne products.

I've tried doing the anti-candida diet and pretty much follow it except that I love fruit and if I don't eat it my body doesn't work as well if you know what I mean. I'd also love to use the coconut oil but it's too oily for my skin which is already very oily and I get blemishes if I use anything that oily!
    Bactrim (phasing out), Spironolactone 1x/day, Retin-a cream .05% in the p.m., Neutrogena Cleanser for Sensitive Skin, avoid dairy and usual Rosacea triggers.